Curriculum Questions

1. What is an appropriate course load to register for?

The vast majority of our students take loads of between 60-70 hours per week. Students with a GPAs<2.0 are encouraged to keep their weekly loads to less than 60 hours; students with 2.0<GPAs<3.0 are encouraged to keep their weekly loads less than 65 hours; students with GPAs>3.0 are encouraged to keep their weekly loads below 70 hours. Following the guidelines above will keep you busy and still provide time for you to participate and enjoy the broader experiences of college life. Also, remember to lighten your load accordingly if you have extra job responsibilities or are heavily involved in extracurriculars (e.g., intercollegiate athletics, President of a Student Organization, involvement in Marching Band, Mini Baja, SAE Formula, Sunracer, Grand Prix, etc.). An excessive workload will cause student burnout which hurts student learning and potentially academic performance.

2. How can I balance my workload?

To keep loads at moderate levels, some students may want to consider moving some of their general education or free elective courses to the summer when on internship or to co-op sessions. This will give you fewer courses to be concerned with during heavy semesters while not extending your graduation date.

3. Why do engineering courses take so much more time than non-technical courses?

The Schools of Engineering are arguably the toughest programs on campus. While to some students this may seem unfair, you get out of a program what you put in. Purdue ME graduates are in high demand and command outstanding positions upon completion of their degree requirements. This is not always true of other disciplines.

4. What ME courses are offered during the summer semester?

Generally, the following ME courses are offered during the summer semesters: ME 200, ME 270, ME 274, ME 352, and ME 463.

5. How do I know which courses I can take for General Education Electives and Professional Electives?

To understand the approved elective offerings and the rules that need to be followed when registering for elective courses, click on any of the "General Education Electives" and "Professional Electives" boxes on the color program map on the ME Undergraduate homepage. These links give a complete explanation of the regulations governing registering for these courses.

6. What should I do if I have a specific question not covered in ME 290 or the FAQ’s list here?

Any specific questions can be directed to Mrs. Harrison (ME 222) or Prof. Jones (ME 222).

7. How do I know what the prerequisites are for the courses in the ME Program?

The "color" program map shown on the ME Undergraduate homepage illustrates all of the prerequisites for each course in the core ME curriculum. A solid line to a course indicates a prerequisite and a dotted line indicates a corequisite. The Math prerequisites are listed separately with each course so as not to confuse the diagram with too many crossing lines. The prerequisite information can also be found in the Engineering catalog or in the online course catalog

8. What courses can be taken for my free elective?

Most courses can be taken for the free elective except remedial courses, and courses that contain duplicate material that you’ve already taken.

Study Abroad Program Questions

1. Can a co-op student do a study abroad?

It may be possible for a co-op student to do a study abroad. However, this will require scheduling the Study Abroad session during a regularly scheduled semester at Purdue. This will likely extend your graduation date because upper-division core ME courses must be taken on the Purdue campus (West Lafayette). To best plan a study abroad, interested students should see Prof. Krousgrill (ME 367) as early in their ME Program as possible.

2. Will a Study Abroad add time to my ME Program?

Generally, a semester Study Abroad will add an extra summer to your Program. A year Study Abroad will add at least one full semester. The reason for this is that you cannot take any upper division (300 or 400 level) ME core courses abroad. All upper division ME courses must be taken on the Purdue Campus (West Lafayette).

3. If I am interested in doing a Study Abroad, whom should I speak with?

Interested students should visit the Study Abroad Office (YONG 105) and see Prof. Jones (ME 222) as early in their ME Program as possible so good planning can occur.

4. What courses can I take during my Study Abroad?

Generally, speaking students can take any equivalent technical elective, general education elective or free elective courses. Students are also able to take most equivalent lower-division courses (100 or 200 level) except ME 263 and ME 290. All upper-division (300 and 400 level) required courses must be taken on the West Lafayette campus.

Honors Program

1. What is the Honors Option?

An Honors option is available for qualified ME students. The Honors option is a mechanism for 1) providing outstanding undergraduates with an opportunity to do directed research and independent study, 2) stimulating student interest in graduate study and research/academic careers, and 3) allowing for special recognition of students attaining high levels of academic achievement. To be eligible for the Honors option, students must have a minimum grade index of 3.40. Questions about the Honors option program can be directed to Prof. Jones (ME 222) . Normally, formal application will be made in the second semester of the junior year.


1. Can I take a minor with my ME Program?

A broad variety of minors can be taken with your ME Program. Interested students should pick up a copy of the current minor requirements in the School of Department in which you plan to pursue a minor. Then contact Mrs. Harrison (ME 222) or Prof. Jones (ME 222) to discuss the plan of study for completing the extra courses.


1. How do I change my address at Purdue?

Change your address with the Registrar’s Office in Room 45 of Hovde or on SSINFO. This is the ONLY way your address can be changed in the database of student information.

2. How can I get a copy of my transcript?

Request a copy of your transcript in room 45 in Hovde or on SSINFO. The copy is prepared for you at no cost. You must provide them with an I.D. when requesting a transcript. There is usually a two to three day time delay.

3. How can I find out if a class from another University or College can be used to meet the requirements for my degree here at Purdue University?

Contact the office of ‘Credit Evaluation’ in Room 108 in Schleman Hall. They will assist you in filling out the form that is necessary to determine if the course you are planning to take will be accepted by the School of Mechanical Engineering.

4. How do I transfer credit from one university to another?

Request their Registrar to send a transcript of your work to the Office of Admissions at Purdue. The new information will be posted to your transcript here. You will receive a notice from the office of ‘Credit Evaluation’ that explains how your credit was evaluated according to Purdue’s course descriptions.

5. Can I take courses at a regional campus?

Yes, but you need to fill in an application form. See the Office of Admissions in Schleman Hall and follow their instructions.

CAUTION: Upper level required courses will not be accepted as transfer courses from the Regional Campuses.

6. Where do I go to obtain verification that I am a "student in good standing" and/or I am eligible for a "good student" driving discount or any type of student certification?

These are provided by personnel in the Office of the Registrar, Room 45 in Hovde.