Summer Undergraduate Research in Global Engineering (SURGE)
Getting international work experience at a research lab overseas during the summer can be a great way to burnish your CV and gain professional/working skills in an international environment. We offer many SURGE programs around the globe. Below you will find a list of SURGE programs and the Contact Person for each program.
Students studying at the Von Karman Institute in Belgium (2016).
SURGE in Latin America
Spend your summer doing cutting-edge research in the Top-1 University in Colombia!
Universidad de los Andes (Uniandes) is ABET-accredited in all of its engineering programs and it is the top-1 institution in Colombia. Work with award-winning faculty members and live in state-of-the art dorms at affordable prices. Bogotá, the capital city, provides a wide range of entertainment that includes close to 50 museums, fine dining, lively nightlife, and nearby nature reserves. Bogotá is one of the largest cities in South America.
Spend your summer doing research with one of the largest and most innovative multi-national energy companies in Latin America, Celsia. This competitive, all-expenses paid summer research internship gives you the opportunity to work in two of Celsia’s top energy plans, one is in Panamá and the other one in Colombia. Find out more:
Contact H. Parker (email@example.com) for help.
SURGE in Brazil
Universidade Federal de Vicosa (UFV) in Brazil
Contact Kara Hartman (firstname.lastname@example.org) for help.
SURGE in Shanghai: Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU)
SURGE in Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU) offers top Purdue undergraduate students to spend a summer studying at world-class research laboratories, side-by-side with prominent research professors and undergraduates from across the globe. It will prepare undergraduate students for further study through intensive research experiences with faculty mentors and enrichment activities.
Sample research projects available for SURGE in Shanghai:
Mechanical Engineering Projects
- Net Zero Energy Building Technologies
- Solar Energy Technologies
- Fundamental Combustion
- Engine Combustion
- Personal Urban Mobility Access
- Highly Efficient Dehumidification Cooling Technology
- Energy Storage for Air-Conditioning Technologies
Electronic Information and Electrical Engineering Projects
- Emotion Recognition Using Multimodal Deep Learning and Transfer Learning
- Content-Aware Software-Defined Security Mechanism Against Threat Propagation in Smart Grid
- Smart UAVs for Complicated Tasks in Complex Scenes
- Location Information Processing and Spatial Behavior Analysis
- Designing and Testing Services for Navigation Terminals
- Design of High Performance Antennas Using Novel Microwave Structures and Materials
- Superpixel Generation for SAR Images Based on Probability Models
- Design of Real-Time Information Processing Technique for Optical Remote Sensing
- Compressive Sensing Based Tomographic SAR Imaging in an Urban Environment
Biomedical Engineering Projects
- Monitoring and Evaluating the Neurovascular Change and Neural Signals Following Brain Injury
- Quantitative Analysis of the Biomedical Images
- Angiogenesis Following Ischemic Stroke
- Neural Rehabilitation Techniques
- Applications of Biomaterials and Nano Particles
- Ribosome Specific Protein-Protein Interaction Network Construction for Mycobacterium Tuberculosis
Agriculture and Biology Projects
- Metabolic Regulation and Engineering of Medicinal Plants
- Stoichiometric Traits of Leaves and Seeds and the Relationships in the Warm Temperate and North Subtropical Ecotone
- PM2.5 Dry Deposition Velocity and Influential Factors on Leaf Surface of Typical Urban Tree Species in Shanghai
Contact Wei Qiu (email@example.com) for help.