Part of being a successful Purdue ME student is making a connection to industry -- whether it's through an internship, co-op, job opportunity, design project, or even an international work experience. I'm here to help you make that connection! Stop by my office, give me a call, or shoot me an email. I work exclusively with Mechanical Engineering students, so I can help you find the perfect opportunity!
Julia King, Director, Office for Industrial Experience
Room ME2007E | 765-494-5702 | email@example.com
Purdue gives you so many opportunities to get a taste of the working world: take advantage of them!
Center for Career Opportunities (CCO)
PurdueME.com (ME Undergrad Blog):
Global Engineering Alliance for Research and Education (GEARE)
Global Engineering Programs (GEP)
Purdue is the #4 public university in the nation (Wall Street Journal), and Mechanical Engineering is the one of the largest schools at Purdue, with 1,400 undergrads, 500 grad students, and 80 faculty. There are numerous ways you can put that engineering experience to work for you!
Contact me today to learn more about these industry connections!
- Use CCO resources to polish your resume. It makes a difference!
- Add information that demonstrates leadership ability, communication skills, & teamwork. Employers are looking for these qualities!
- Industry experience is important! Focus your efforts on this section.
- Include a specific objective: internship, co-op, or full time position.
- No more than 1 page!
- What makes you unique compared to other ME students?
- Incorporate your uniqueness into your elevator pitch!
Get involved! Leverage your unique global experiences, undergraduate research, student organizations,
project teams (EPICS, SAE, ME 263/463, competitions, & more).
- Practice delivery of your elevator pitch until it is smooth, natural, and professional.
- Network, network, network!
- Leverage your network of contacts from any past industry experience. Also reach out to contacts developed through volunteer work, professional & student associations, research experience, extra-curriculars, family, friends, etc.
- Create a professional LinkedIn profile, keep it up to date, & connect to employers.
Conduct informational interviews to grow your network. Ask your contacts for additional contacts to
further expand your network.
Use your myCCO account! Set your search criteria to be notified of new jobs postings.
- Download the Purdue CCO Career Planning Handbook
- Participate in all of Purdue’s job fairs: Industrial Roundtable is world-renowned!
- Download the Purdue Career Fair+ app
Research companies in advance, map a plan to visit key employers, dress to impress, speak
confidently, & represent yourself well.
- Interviews: Research the company thoroughly, prepare questions, & be enthusiastic!
- CCO (cco.purdue.edu): Your top job search resource!
ME Blog (PurdueME.com): Info sessions, internships, research opportunities, and full-time
positions; Subscribe to the PurdueME.com blog to be notified of new postings
- OPP (opp.purdue.edu): Your Co-Op and GEARE headquarters
- Indeed.com: Upload resume & search daily
585 Purdue Mall, Room ME2007E
West Lafayette, IN 47907