Part of being a successful Purdue ME student is making a connection to industry -- whether it's through an internship, co-op, job opportunity, design project, or even an international work experience. I'm here to help you make that connection! Stop by my office, give me a call, or shoot me an email. I work exclusively with Mechanical Engineering students, so I can help you find the perfect opportunity!
Julia King, Director, Office for Industrial Experience
Room ME2058 | 765-494-5702 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Use CCO resources to polish your resume. It makes a difference!
- Add information that demonstrates leadership ability, communication skills, & teamwork. Employers are looking for these qualities!
- Industry experience is important! Focus your efforts on this section.
- Include a specific objective: internship, co-op, or full time position.
- No more than 1 page!
- What makes you unique compared to other ME students?
- Incorporate your uniqueness into your elevator pitch!
- Leverage any global experiences.
- Practice delivery of your elevator pitch until it is smooth, natural, and professional.
- Network, network, network!
- Leverage your network of contacts from any past industry experience. Also reach out to contacts developed through volunteer work, professional & student associations, research experience, extra-curriculars, family, friends, etc.
- Create a professional LinkedIn profile & keep it up to date.
- Ask your contacts for further contacts to expand your network.
Create a myCCO account and search jobs daily!
- Update privacy settings: select YES for both emails and resume books
- Job Fairs:
- Interviews: Research the company thoroughly, prepare questions, & be enthusiastic!
Purdue gives you so many opportunities to get a taste of the working world: take advantage of them!
Center for Career Opportunities (CCO)
ME Undergrad Blog
Global Engineering Alliance for Research and Education (GEARE)
Global Engineering Programs (GEP)
Purdue is the #5 public university in the nation (Wall Street Journal), and Mechanical Engineering is the one of the largest schools at Purdue, with 1,400 undergrads, 500 grad students, and 80 faculty. There are numerous ways you can put that engineering experience to work for you!
Contact me today to learn more about these industry connections!
585 Purdue Mall, Room ME2058
West Lafayette, IN 47907