Giving FAQs

If you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact the Mechanical Engineering Development Office.

What is the Annual Fund?

Departmental Annual Funds support critical day-to-day operations. Gifts to the Annual Fund help to close the deficit left by declining state support and help bolster the cost of educating today's students.

Will my gift be tax-deductible?

Your gift may be fully or partially deductible, depending on the nature of the gift. Any goods or services involved in the exchange of gifts are declared to have fair-market value, which is not tax-deductible. Contributions to the university, the School of Mechanical Engineering, or individual programs or departments, are subject to IRS Code sections 170(b)(1)(A)(ii) and 170(b)(1)(A)(v). Refer to the Tax Benefits section of this Web site for more information.

Can I give over a period of time?

Yes. Gifts are often pledged to be made through a series of payments. The Mechanical Engineering development staff can work with you to establish a pledge commitment over a time frame that suits your individual giving objectives.

What kinds of assets are allowable as gifts?

The university accepts many types of gifts: cash, real estate, securities, gifts-in-kind, memorial or honorary gifts, art, jewelry, mineral and intellectual rights, and more.

Tell me about endowed gifts?

Endowments are gifts held in perpetuity and invested in a manner that protects the principal from inflation. The investment income provides a stable funding source for such purposes as scholarships, professorships, lecture series, and research centers. Purdue has received and managed hundreds of endowment gifts over the years. Collectively, these gifts make up the Purdue University Endowment.  Reports on the performance of the Purdue University endowment, investment principles, and information on planning for your endowment can be found here.

What are my rights as a donor?

The University Development Office feels strongly that philanthropy is based on voluntary action for the common good. It is a tradition of giving and sharing that is primary to the quality of life. To assure that philanthropy merits the respect and trust of the general public and that donors and prospective donors can have full confidence in the not-for-profit organizations and initiatives they are asked to support; it is declared that all donors have rights. To read more about these rights, please go to the following link: Donor Bill of Rights.

How do I get my IRS tax receipt?

Tax receipts are generally mailed to you within a week of receiving your donation.

Can a gift be designated to a specific area?

Yes, giving money to the unrestricted Annual Fund is encouraged, but you may request to have your gift designated to a specific area. To accomplish this, a written request - or even a simple designation on your check - should be submitted with your gift to the university. If your donation is being made online, a designation for the gift's use may be chosen from the list provided. If you would like to designate a gift for a program that is not listed, then please contact Scott Banfield, Chief Development Officer in the School of Mechanical Engineering development office at 765-494-5629 or email

How does private giving affect the university's overall budget?

Private funding is an invaluable tool that helps the School’s programs thrive and grow. Your contributions ensure we are able to continue attracting the best faculty and students while continuing to adhere to a standard of excellence in educational programming.

How can I receive or correct my gift receipt?

Please contact Scott Banfield, Chief Development Officer in the School of Mechanical Engineering’s development office at 765-494-5629 or send an email to and someone will be happy to assist you.

Where do I send my check?

As part of our continuing effort to provide you with the safest and most efficient way to show your support, Purdue has implemented a lockbox service. Please make your check payable to the “Purdue Foundation”, be sure to indicate in the memo line of your check where you’d like your gift designated to (i.e. School of Mechanical Engineering or School of Mechanical Engineering - Facilities or the like) and mail to one of the following addresses:

To give by US mail (USPS):
Purdue Foundation
Gift Processing
P.O. Box 772401
Detroit, MI 48277-2401

For overnight courier mail that requires a street address:
JP Morgan Chase Lockbox Processing
Attn: Purdue Foundation and 772401
1 Village Dr. Bldg. 45 – First Floor
Van Buren Township, MI 48111

Whom should I call if I have more questions about giving to Mechanical Engineering at Purdue University?

Please contact Scott Banfield, Chief Development Officer in the School of Mechanical Engineering’s development office at 765-494-5629 or send an email to

Contact us!

Scott Banfield
Chief Development Officer
(765) 412-6778

Star Murray
Director of Development
(765) 494-0586

Sheryl Willison
Administrative Assistant
(765) 491-5590

Christina Starace
Senior Director of Development
(317) 946-2414

Kristi Moses
Director of Development Operations and Donor Stewardship
(502) 303-3500