Candidate Checklist for
THESIS MASTER’S DEGREE
It is your responsibility to make sure all degree requirements have been met, before filing for candidacy. Registering for candidacy 3 times in a row attracts a fee of $200 from the Purdue Graduate School.
To help review if all degree requirements have been met, please check against the list below:
- Cumulative GPA is at least 3.0
Plan of study is updated with required courses for your degree, and is complete:
- Minimum of 21 credits of graduate level coursework (500- and 600- level) that are technical and quantitative-in-content
- Includes 3 credit hours from the Math (MA) department
- Incudes another 3 credit hours from Math or an approved applied math course.
- Does not include any independent study coursework
- At least 9 credit hours of thesis research completed with “S”
- Final Exam has been held, or will be held before the semester deadline, early enough to get completely approved before the deadline. (See the Final Exam page for more details).
- Deposit date will be at least a day before the semester deadline.
Make sure to register for candidacy in the scheduling assistant, before the end of the first week of classes.
- If registering as CAND 991, are you registered for research in the candidate semester?
- If registering as CAND 992 or 993, research registration took place in the semester before the candidate semester?
Will you be continuing on for a PhD?
If yes, have you submitted an internal PhD application? (Should be done before the semester ends, or otherwise you’ll need to apply through Slate and meet all application requirements.) You will need to have a faculty advisor agree to support you before applying for the PhD program.
ME Graduate Office
585 Purdue Mall (Room 1003)
West Lafayette, IN 47907