Candidate Checklist for
NON-THESIS MASTER’S DEGREE
It is your responsibility to make sure all degree requirements have been met, before filing for candidacy. Registering for candidacy 3 times in a row attracts a fee of $200 from the Purdue Graduate School.
To help review if all degree requirements have been met, please check against the list below:
- Cumulative GPA is at least 3.0
Plan of study is updated with required courses for your degree, and is complete:
- Minimum of 30 credits of graduate level coursework (500- and 600- level) that are technical and quantitative-in-content
- Includes 3 credit hours from the Math (MA) department
- Incudes another 3 credit hours from Math or an approved applied math course.
- Includes no more than 6 credit hours of independent study
- If residential international student and not registering full-time in your last semester, contact ISS and request reduced course load. If on fellowship, make sure to meet fellowship requirements.
- Register as CAND 991 in the scheduling assistant before the end of the first week of classes.
Will you be continuing on for a PhD?
It’s not typical for a Master’s non-thesis to continue on for a PhD. But, if you are, have you submitted an internal PhD application? (Should be done before the semester ends, or otherwise you’ll need to apply through Slate and meet all application requirements.) You will need to have a faculty advisor agree to support you, before applying for the PhD program.
ME Graduate Office
585 Purdue Mall (Room 1003)
West Lafayette, IN 47907