Terrence R. Meyer
Professor of Mechanical Engineering; Professor of Aeronautics and Astronautics (by Courtesy)
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
Office: CHAF 124
- BME, University of Minnesota at Minneapolis-St. Paul, 1993
- MS, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1997
- PhD, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2001
- Advancement of next-generation propulsion concepts including Rotating Detonation Engines (RDEs), Rotating Detonation Rocket Engines (RDREs) and Scramjet Engines
- Laser diagnostics development for applied thermal environments including RDEs, RDREs, gas-turbines, rockets, IC engines, and scramjet engines
- Laser Diagnostics and Spectroscopy for detonations, combustion, sprays, energetics, propellants, hypersonics, plasmas, and non-equilibrium flows
- Estimation of performance, efficiency and emissions using state of the art optical diagnostics (PLIF, CARS, TP-LIF, PIV, 3D Imaging, X-Rays, PIV, Molecular Tagging, Thermographic Phosphors and Pressure Sensitive Paints)
- Thermal-fluid behavior at the extremes, including turbulent, acoustically coupled, high-temperature, high-pressure, multiphase, and non-equilibrium reacting flows
Awards and Recognitions
- Fellow of Optica, formerly the Optical Society of America (2022), Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (2017), and Associate Fellow of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (2006)
- Purdue University list of Outstanding Engineering Teachers (2016, 2018, 2019, 2020)
- School of Mechanical Engineering Spira Award, given for inspiring students and fostering excellence in commercial or defense product realization (2022)
- Listed among the most downloaded articles from Combustion and Flame in the 90 days since publication (2022)
- Editor's Pick or Cover Feature for Applied Physics Letters (2022), Optics Letters (2020, 2019), Applied Optics (2019, 2009, 2003), and Applied Spectroscopy (2007)
- Chair (2019-2023) and Vice Chair (2017-2019), Gordon Research Conference on Laser Diagnostics in Energy and Combustion Science (formerly Laser Diagnostics in Combustion)
- Co-Chair, International Constant Volume and Detonation Combustion Workshop (2019)
- Awards Chair (2021-2022) and Technical Chair (2018-2019), Aerodynamic Measurement Technology (AMT) Committee, AIAA Science and Technology Forum and Exposition
- Guest Professor, Erlangen Graduate School in Advanced Optical Technologies (2010-2020)
- NSF CAREER Award, Combustion, Fire, and Plasma Systems (2011-2015)
- Best Presentation, 26th Annual Institute for Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems (ILASS)-Americas Conference (2014)
- William and Virginia Binger Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering, Iowa State University (2011-2012)
- Best Paper, Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics, Subcommittee on Active Optical Sensing (2011)
- General Co-Chair (2010-2012) and Program Co-Chair, (2008-2010), Optical Society of America's Conference on Laser Applications to Chemical, Security, and Environmental Analysis
- Chair (2009-2010) and Vice-Chair (2008-2009) Optical Society of America's Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics, Subcommittee on Active Optical Sensing
- Co-editor, Applied Optics Special Issue, Laser Applications to Chemical, Security, and Environmental Analysis (2011)
- Sub-committee Chair for Award Nominations, Aerodynamic Measurement Technology Technical Committee, AIAA, (2009-2015)
- Invited Lectures (2011, 2007) and Hot Topics Invited Talks (2009, 2005), Gordon Research Conference on Laser Diagnostics in Combustion
- Chair, Ohio Valley Section of the Society for Applied Spectroscopy (2005-2006)
- AIAA Dayton-Cincinnati Section Outstanding Technical Contribution Award (2003)
- AIAA Foundation Graduate Award in Fluid Dynamics for PhD dissertation (2001)
- Graduate Fellowships: Ford Foundation Dissertation Fellowship (2000), NSF Pre-doctoral Fellowship (1994-1997), University of Illinois Foundation Fellowship (1994-1997)
Z.M. Ayers, A. Lemcherfi, E.W. Plaehn, R.M. Gejji, H.D. Perkins, S. Roy, C.D. Slabaugh, T.R. Meyer, Christopher Fugger, "Simultaneous 100-kHz acetone planar laser-induced fluorescence and OH* chemiluminescence in a linear non-premixed detonation channel," Combust Flame 244, 112209(1-17), 2022; doi.org/10.1016/j.combustflame.2022.112209.
K. Nakata, K. Ota, S. Ito, K. Ishihara, K. Goto, N. Itouyama, H. Watanabe, A. Kawasaki, K. Matsuoka, J. Kasahara, J. Braun, T. Meyer, and G. Paniagua, "Supersonic exhaust from a rotating detonation engine with throatless diverging channel," AIAA J, in press; doi.org/10.2514/1.J061300.
M. Gomez, S.J. Grauer, J. Ludwigsen, A.M. Steinberg, S.F. Son, S. Roy, and T.R. Meyer, "MHz-rate background oriented schlieren tomography in post-detonation blasts," Appl. Opt. 61(10), 2444-2458, 2022; doi.org/10.1364/AO.449654.
V. Athmanathan, J. Braun, Z.M. Ayers, C.A. Fugger, A.M. Webb, M.N. Slipchenko, G. Paniagua, S. Roy, and T.R. Meyer, "On the effects of reactant stratification and wall curvature in non-premixed rotating detonation combustors," Combust. Flame 240, 112013, 2022; doi.org/10.1016/j.combustflame.2022.112013.
K. Patel, A. Saha, T. Zhou, T.R. Meyer, S. Bane, and A. Satija, "Spectrally filtered ps-ns emission dynamics of atmospheric-pressure nanosecond pulsed plasmas," Appl. Phys. Lett. 120, 014101, 2022; doi.org/10.1063/5.0073630 (Editor???s Pick).
M.N. Slipchenko, T.R. Meyer, and S. Roy, "Advances in burst-mode laser diagnostics for reacting and nonreacting flows," Proc. Combust. Inst. 38(1), 1533-1560, 2021; doi.org/10.1016/j.proci.2020.07.024.
V. Athmanathan, K.A. Rahman, D. Lauriola, J. Braun, G. Paniagua, M.N. Slipchenko, S. Roy, and T.R. Meyer, "Femtosecond/picosecond rotational coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering thermometry in the exhaust of a rotating detonation combustor," Combust. Flame 231, 111504, 2021; doi.org/10.1016/j.combustflame.2021.111504.
N. Rahman, B. R. Halls, K. E. Matusik, T. R. Meyer, and A. L. Kastengren, "Evaluation of liquid-phase thermometry in impinging jet sprays using synchrotron x-ray scattering," Appl. Opt. 60(11), 2967-2973, 2021; doi.org/10.1364/AO.417796.
D.K. Lauriola, K.A. Rahman, H.U. Stauffer, M.N. Slipchenko, T.R. Meyer, and S. Roy, "Concentration and pressure scaling of CH2O electronic-resonance-enhanced coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering signals," Appl. Opt. 60(4), 1051-1058, 2021; doi.org/10.1364/AO.415496.
J.M. Fisher, B.C. Chynoweth, M.E. Smyser, A.M. Webb, M.N. Slipchenko, J.S. Jewell, T.R. Meyer, and S.J. Beresh, "Femtosecond laser electronic excitation tagging velocimetry in a Mach six quiet tunnel," AIAA J. 59(2), 768-772, 2021; doi.org/10.2514/1.J059879.