James J. and Carol L. Shuttleworth Professor of Mechanical Engineering, and Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering (by Courtesy)
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
Office: ME 2155, BRK 2048
- B.S. University of Science and Technology of China, '89
- M.S. California-Berkeley, '91
- Ph.D. California-Berkeley, '94
- Heat transfer, particularly nano-scale and ultrafast heat transfer
- Ultrafast laser materials processing and diagnostics
- Nano-optics and laser-based nano-lithography
Awards and Recognitions
- National Science Foundation Faculty CAREER Award, August 1996
- GM Faculty Fellowship, 1995, 1996
- Office of Naval Research Young Investigator Award, May 2000
- Purdue University B.F.S. Schaefer Young Faculty Scholar Award, 2002
- Fellow, ASME - the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, July 2006
- Purdue University, School of Mechanical Engineering Discovery in Mechanical Engineering (DME) Award, October 2009.
- Fellow, SPIE - the International Society for Optical Engineering, 2009
- James J. and Carol L. Shuttleworth Professor of Mechanical Engineering, 2010
- Invited speaker at many major professional conferences (Gordon Research Conference on Laser Interactions with Materials; OSA - Frontiers in Optics; AIAA Thermophysics Conference; Colloquium on the Physics of Quantum Electronics; SPIE Annual Meeting, SPIE Photonics West, SPIE Photonics North, SPIE Optics East; SPIE Optics and Photonics; ASME IMECE panels; the MRS Meeting; and IEEE/OSA Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics -CLEO), many academic institutes, national labs, and companies.
Kelkar R., Kinzel, E.C., Xu, X., 2009, "Laser sintering of conductive carbon paste on plastic substrate", Opt. Eng., Vol. 48(7), p. 074301.
Srisungsitthisunti, P., Ersoy, O.K., and Xu, X., 2009, "Optimization of Modified Volume Fresnel Zone Plates", J. Opt. Soc. Am. A Vol. 26, pp. 2114 ??? 2120.
Biswas, K.G., Sands, T.D., Cola, B.A., and Xu, X., 2009, "Thermal Conductivity of Bismuth Telluride Nanowire Array-epoxy Composite," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 94, p. 223116.
Guo, R., Kinzel, E.C., Li, Y., Uppuluri, S.M., Raman, A., and Xu, X., 2010, "Three-dimensional mapping of optical near field of a nanoscale bowtie antenna," Opt. Exp. Vol. 18, pp. 4961-4971.
Kinzel, E.C., and Xu, X. 2010, Extraordinary Infrared Transmission through a Periodic Bowtie Aperture Array, Opt. Lett. Vol. 35, pp. 992-994.
Uppuluri, S.M.V., Kinzel, E.C., Li, Y., and Xu, X., 2010, "Parallel optical nanolithography using nanoscale bowtie aperture array", Opt. Exp., Vol. 18, pp. 7369-7375.
Kinzel, E.C., Srisungsitthisunti, P., Li, Y., Raman, A., and Xu, X., 2010, Extraordinary transmission from high-gain nanoaperture antennas," Appl. Phys. Lett., 96, p. 211116.
Wang, Y., Liebig, C.M., Xu, X., Venkatasubramanian, R., Acoustic Phonon Scattering in Bi2Te3/Sb2Te3 Superlattice, Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 97, p. 083103. Also selected for the September 2010 issue of Virtual Journal of Ultrafast Science
Liebig, C.M., Wang, Y., and Xu, X., Controlling phase change through ultrafast excitation of coherent phonons," Opt. Exp., Vol. 18, pp. 20498-20504.
Liebig, C.M., Srisungsitthisunti, P., Weiner, A.M., Xu, X., Enhanced machining of steel using femtosecond pulse pairs, Appl. Phys. A., Vol. 101, pp. 487-490.