Payroll Information for Mechanical Engineering Graduate Staff

Engineering Employment Center (EEC): A.A. Potter Engineering Center, Room 127

The College of Engineering Employment Center,, is responsible for managing all fellowship, research assistantship, and teaching assistantship payroll information and permission for payment for University-related travel. Not following University regulations may result in late payroll deposits or even loss of funds. Note: The offers of fellowship, research assistantship, and teaching assistantship appointments are made by the Head of the School on the recommendation of the faculty and Associate Head for Graduate Studies, and not the COE Employment Center. Also, the actual take-home stipend amount depends upon the tax status of the individual student.

Initial Payroll Setup Procedure

If you have an RA or TA appointment, or if your fellowship is being administered as an assistantship, please make sure that you complete Section 1 of the USCIS Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification. Section 1 must be completed no later than your start date. A welcome email will be sent to you from Purdue HR and will contain the link and information needed to log into your employee dashboard where you will complete your electronic documents. Section 2 of the electronic I-9 must be completed no later than the 3rd business day after your start date and requires you to physically present original and unexpired document(s) from the List of Acceptable Documents in person to a predetermined location on campus. (If you have not received the link, please email

  • Proper ID – I-9 Documents must be presented to the employment center in person by appointment. Please DO NOT send them to the Link to make an appointment is provided here:
  • Social Security Number (SSN) – All non-U.S. residents must apply for a social security number if you do not have one. The SSN must be reported to the business office within 30 days of your hire date or your employment will end. In order to apply for an SSN, we will complete a docusign form and it will route to ISS. Please email if you need to apply.
  • Direct Deposit – Purdue requires that you sign up for direct deposit of salary. If you do not have a bank account set up and entered into Employee Self Service prior to August 31, your first payment may be a paper check, those are being mailed to the home address in Success Factors. Payments are made on a bi-weekly basis. Schedule is attached.

Non-exempt positions, graduate staff appointments, resident assistants and fellows are paid biweekly. The biweekly pay period starts on Sunday and ends 14 days later on a Monday (here's the biweekly payroll calendar). Faculty and staff exempt positions are paid monthly. Their pay period starts with the first of the month and ends on the last day. All students with fellowship, research assistantship, and teaching assistantship positions must review their payment information every paycheck.

To avoid late pay, report any changes in visa or I-20 status by bringing the needed documents to the COE Employment Center (Wang 4008) as soon as a change is approved. Also notify the center of any change in address; changing your address on myPurdue does not change it on payroll records.

Notify the COE Employment Center of any change in funding. Check with the COE Employment Center before each semester to make certain your Major Professor has reported the changes in your funding that you have discussed. Students should request the Major Professor also notify the ME Graduate Office when a change in funding level (e.g., half-time or quarter-time) or type (e.g., research assistantship to fellowship) is made. Travel on university business (attending conferences, meeting sponsors, etc.) must be approved by the Major Professor and the Head of the School before the trip and it must adhere to the regulations to obtain reimbursement for expenditures.

If at any time your support changes, including if it ends, please notify immediately of the change to avoid being paid incorrectly or not at all.


If you hold a half-time (.50) TA or RA appointment (or quarter-time (.25) TA and quarter-time (.25) RA), or a Fellowship that is being administered as an assistantship, you are eligible for the Graduate Staff Insurance program. There are multiple plans available for you to select and premiums for each plan are different. You may go to to look at these different plans before enrolling in one.

If your appointment drops below half time, you will automatically be dropped from the insurance program.

Those who hold fellowships are not eligible for the Graduate Staff Insurance program 

The fellowship insurance stipend is $1,361 per year to allow for the purchase of health insurance. PUSH requires that the insurance be paid a semester at a time, so your insurance supplement will be added to your August and December stipends. The supplements will be $567 and $794 respectively.

For registration, payment of premiums and enrollment in the graduate staff medical insurance plan, please contact Academic HealthPlans (AHP, tel: (855) 566-7278 or email

For Graduate staff medical insurance plan coverage, claims, international student requirements and waiver process, fellowship insurance, please contact Student Insurance Office, Purdue Student Health Services (PUSH), 3rd Floor, tel: (765) 496-3998 or email

For questions on benefits eligibility, Benefitfocus enrollment issues, benefits-related payroll deductions, as well as information on the graduate staff medical insurance plan, graduate staff vision plan, voluntary retirement savings plans and dental and voluntary benefits, please contact Purdue Human Resources, Benefits Department, tel (765-494-2222) or email

Vacation Time

Grads in ME are appointed on the Fiscal Year (12-month) cycle and have a total of 22 days of vacation time available each year. You must be employed for three months before you are allowed to take any paid vacation days. Vacation days are accumulated by the month and you cannot use them before they are earned. You will accumulate two days of vacation every month that you are employed with the exception of September and March in which only one day is accumulated for each month. Vacation requests must be approved by your supervisor prior to the leave being taken. Accumulated vacation days will be forfeited if you leave the University for any reason or if there is a break in employment.

To use vacation days, submit your leave request through SuccessFactors (see how to use the Request Time Off form). Since the TA appointments in ME are on the FY schedule, you will need to submit a vacation request in Success Factors during the school breaks when no classes are in session.

Internships: When leaving on an internship, time off is requested in Success Factors as unpaid personal leave for supervisor approval. This needs to be done 30-60 days before leaving.

Purdue Holidays can be found at: Official Purdue Holidays are the only absences that do not need to be recorded in Success Factors.  Any days taken off besides the Holidays listed must be taken as vacation.

For complete details about graduate student staff benefits including eligibility guidelines, insurance, and paid leave, including the full Graduate Student Employment Manual, please see

Request Verification of Employment

For students who need to request verification of previous employment at Purdue, please see for instructions.


For Employed TA’s, please see Expectations and Overview of Responsibilities

For Employed RA’s, please see Expectations for Research Assistants


ME Graduate Office
585 Purdue Mall (Room 1003)
West Lafayette, IN 47907
(765) 494-5730