Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Environmental & Ecological Engineering
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
Office: POTR 326B
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, U.S. Naval Research Laboratory, 2017-2020
- Ph.D., Materials Science, University of Rochester, 2014
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Rochester, 2010
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Rochester, 2008
- Sustainable manufacturing
- Environmental life cycle assessment
- Mechanics of multilayered systems
- Adhesion in paints and coatings
- Lightweighting strategies for transportation
Awards and Recognitions
- 2023 Keynote Speaker, Sustainable Metals Manufacturing Workshop, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA
- 2022, 2021, 2015, 2016 Above and Beyond Awards, Energetics
- 2017 American Society for Engineering Education Postdoctoral Research Fellowship
- 2016 DOE Secretary’s Appreciation Award, for technical contributions to the Second Quadrennial Technology Review, U.S. Department of Energy
- 2014 DOT Secretary’s Honor Award, for impactful community engagement as a job skills mentor to out-of-school youth in Washington DC, U.S. Department of Transportation
- 2010 Frank J. Horton Research Fellowship, Laboratory for Laser Energetics, University of Rochester
- 2009 Dean’s Graduate Research Fellowship, University of Rochester
- 2009 Pandeli Durbetaki Fellowship in Mechanical Engineering, University of Rochester
- 2008 Helmut Weyman Prize, for excellence in engineering experimentation as an undergraduate, University of Rochester
- 2007 Elected to Tau Beta Pi, New York Kappa Chapter, University of Rochester
- 2004 Rush Rhees Scholarship, University of Rochester
H. P. H. Liddell, L. M. Erickson, J. P. Tagert, A. Arcari, G. M. Smith, and J. Martin, "Mode mixity and fracture in pull-off adhesion tests," Engineering Fracture Mechanics 281, 109120 (2023).
J. Cresko, E. Rightor, A. Carpenter, K. Peretti, N. Elliott, … , H. P. H. Liddell, et al., U.S. Department of Energy Industrial Decarbonization Roadmap, U.S. Department of Energy (2022).
H. P. H. Liddell and M. H. Merrill, "In situ visualization of particle motions during wipe sampling of explosives and other trace particulate materials," ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 11, 23780-23788 (2019).
S. Baldwin, G. Bindewald, A. Brown, C. Chen, K. Cheung,… , H. P. H. Liddell, et al., Quadrennial Technology Review 2015: an assessment of energy technologies and research opportunities, U.S. Department of Energy (2015).
H. P. H. Liddell, K. Mehrotra, J. C. Lambropoulos, and S. D. Jacobs, "Fracture mechanics of delamination defects in multilayer dielectric coatings," Applied Optics 52, 7689-7698 (2013).