Executive Vice President for Research and Partnerships Emeritus and Distinguished Professor Emeritus of Mechanical Engineering
- B.S. IIT Madras, '85
- M.S. Ohio State, '86
- Ph.D. California-Berkeley, '89
- High-performance cooling technologies
- Thermal microsystems
- Energy efficiency in computing and electronics
- Micro- and nano-scale transport phenomena
- Solar thermal energy storage
- Materials processing
Fundamental Research Area(s)
Awards and Recognitions
- Member, National Science Board, 2018
- Fellow, National Academy of Inventors, 2017
- Leadership in Open Access Award, Purdue University, 2017
- ITHERM Achievement Award, IEEE Intersociety Conference on Thermal and Thermomechanical Phenomena in Electronic Systems (ITherm), 2016
- 75th Anniversary Medal, Heat Transfer Division, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2013
- Provost's Award for Outstanding Graduate Mentor, Purdue University, 2012
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2011
- Alexander Schwarzkopf Prize for Technology Innovation, National Science Foundation Industry University Cooperative Research Center (IUCRC) Association, 2011
- Faculty Award of Excellence for Mentoring, Purdue University College of Engineering, 2011
- Heat Transfer Memorial Award, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2010; Gustus L. Larson Memorial Award, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2004; Fellow, 2002
- Distinguished Alumnus Award of Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, 2010
- Harvey A. Rosten Award, 2009
- Allan Kraus Thermal Management Medal, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2009
- Ruth and Joel Spira Award, for outstanding contributions to the School of Mechanical Engineering 2009
- K16 Clock Award, 2006, for Service to the ASME Heat Transfer Division's K-16 Community and Continued Outstanding Contributions to the Science and Engineering of Heat Transfer in Electronics
- Indiana 21st Century Research & Technology Fund Award, for Outstanding Achievement as a member of the 2008 Indiana 21st Century Research & Technology Fund
- UWM Outstanding Teaching Award, 1997
- Graduate School/UWM Foundation Research Award, 1995
- Society of Automotive Engineers' Outstanding Faculty Advisor Award, 1994
- Research Initiation Award, National Science Foundation, 1992
- Society of Automotive Engineers' Ralph R. Teetor Educational Award, 1992
- Outstanding Teaching Award, UWM College of Engineering and Applied Science, 1992
X. Chen, J. A. Weibel and S. V. Garimella, "Exploiting Microscale Roughness on Hierarchical Superhydrophobic Copper Surfaces for Enhanced Dropwise Condensation," Advanced Materials Interfaces Vol. 2, 1400480 (6 pp), 2015.
S. M. Flueckiger, B. D. Iverson, S. V. Garimella, and J. E. Pacheco, "System-Level Simulation of a Solar Power Tower Plant with Thermocline Thermal Energy Storage," Applied Energy Vol. 113, pp. 86-96, 2014.
K. K. Bodla, J. A. Weibel and S. V. Garimella, "Advances in Fluid and Thermal Transport Property Analysis and Design of Sintered Porous Wick Microstructures," ASME Journal of Heat Transfer 135: 061202 (13 pp), 2013.
M. J. Rau and S. V. Garimella, "Local Two-Phase Heat Transfer from Arrays of Submerged and Confined Impinging Jets," International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 67: 487-498, 2013.
Z. Pan, S. Dash, J. A. Weibel and S. V Garimella, "Assessment of Water Droplet Evaporation Mechanisms on Hydrophobic and Superhydrophobic Substrates," Langmuir Vol. 29, pp. 15831-15841, 2013.
T. Harirchian and S. V. Garimella, "A Comprehensive Flow Regime Map for Microchannel Flow Boiling with Quantitative Transition Criteria," International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 53:2694-2702, 2010.
N. Kumari, V. Bahadur and S. V. Garimella, "Electrical Actuation of Dielectric Droplets," Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering 18:085018, 2008.
B. D. Iverson and S. V. Garimella, "Recent Advances in Microscale Pumping Technologies: A Review and Evaluation," Microfluidics and Nanofluidics Vol. 5, pp. 145-174, 2008.
S. V. Garimella, V. Singhal and D. Liu, "On-Chip Thermal Management with Microchannel Heat Sinks and Integrated Micropumps," Proceedings of the IEEE 94:1534-1548, 2006.
P.S. Lee, S. V. Garimella and D. Liu, "Investigation of Heat Transfer in Rectangular Microchannels," International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 48:1688-1704, 2005.