Purdue ME Summer Projects 2021
Is it still tough to find an internship or co-op because of COVID? Join an ME Summer Project Team!
Join a team of 2-6 students, and work with a faculty or staff mentor on real-world engineering projects. Earn a $1,000 stipend at the completion of the project!
- Open to all Purdue ME undergraduate students, including current international students
- May 31 - August 6, 2021 (10 week Program)
- 20 hours/week commitment
- Work remotely or on-campus
How does it work?
1. Review this list of available projects:
2. Determine how you would like to participate:
Participate without class credit (no enrollment or tuition) and receive $1,000 stipend at completion
- Participate for class credit; enroll in 3-credit project course (ME 496 or ME 297); summer tuition applies; no stipend
3. Click here to apply! Deadline is Sunday, April 4.
Why should I participate in a Purdue ME Summer Project?
- Build your resume
- Solve real-world engineering problems (not busy work!)
- Participate in cutting-edge research
- Grow your leadership and teamwork skills
- Earn $1000 stipend at the completion of the program
- Do something productive with your summer!
Frequently Asked Questions
- When should I apply? Application opens Monday, March 15. Apply early! Your top choice projects may fill up quickly, likely before the Sunday, April 4 application deadline. Project supervisors will begin reviewing applications on Monday, March 22. Rolling admissions will begin Friday, March 26. Apply early!
- Can FYE students transitioning to Purdue ME apply? Yes
- Can Purdue ME students graduating in May 2021 apply? Yes, graduating domestic students may apply. Unfortunately, graduating international students cannot apply due to VISA related issues.
- Can Purdue students outside ME apply? No
- Must I use my purdue.edu email to apply? Yes
- How many projects can I apply for? Up to 3
- Can I accept more than one project offer? No
- Is the acceptance of a project offer binding? Yes! If you accept an offer, you are expected to honor your commitment to your project team. Expectation is for ~20 hours/week, for the 10 week timeline of May 31 to August 6.
- How long do I have to accept or decline a project offer? Please accept or decline your project offer(s) within 5 calendar days from the offer date.
- I am a ME GEARE student. Will participation in a ME Summer Project meet the requirements for my international or domestic intern/research experience? Yes
- What’s the deadline to enroll in a ME project course for credit? Monday, May 31
- Which project course should I enroll in? Please consult your ME academic advisor to determine if you should enroll in ME 496 or ME 297.
- Can I change my mind on stipend vs. credit after I apply? No
2020 Participant Stats
- 303 applications (not including interested Purdue students in other engineering disciplines as well as ME students from universities around the country, from Iowa to Georgia to Connecticut)
- 169 Purdue ME students on 37 projects led by ME faculty and staff (32 faculty, 5 staff)
- Demographics: 22% female, 31% international
- Class standing: 15% sophomore, 36% junior, 43% senior, 5% grad
- Co-Op/GEARE: 27% active Co-op or GEARE students
- Credit/Stipend: 10% credit, 90% stipend ($1000) (primarily funded by alumni donations)
Program questions? Julia King: firstname.lastname@example.org
Research questions? Song Zhang: email@example.com