Purdue ME Summer Projects
Did COVID-19 cancel your internship or co-op? Join an ME Summer Project Team!
Join a virtual team of 2-6 students, and work with a faculty or staff mentor on real-world engineering projects. Earn a $1,000 stipend at the completion of the project, plus a chance to earn bonus cash!
- Open to all Purdue ME undergraduate students, including current international students
- June 1 - August 7 (10 week Program)
- 20 hours/week commitment
- Work remotely with your team
How does it work?
1. Review this list of available projects:
2. Determine how you would like to participate:
Participate without class credit (no enrollment or tuition) and receive $1,000 stipend at completion
- Participate for class credit; enroll in 3-credit project course (ME 496 or ME 297); summer tuition applies; no stipend
3. Fill out the online application:
Application deadline is May 17, 2020, so apply early! Rolling admissions offers will occur May 8 - May 22.
Why should I participate in a Purdue ME Summer Project?
- Build your resume
- Solve real-world engineering problems (not busy work!)
- Participate in cutting-edge research
- Grow your leadership and teamwork skills
- Earn $1000 stipend at the completion of the program
- Do something productive with your summer!
Frequently Asked Questions
- When should I apply? Now! Your top choice projects may fill up quickly, likely before the Sunday, May 17 application deadline. Project supervisors will begin reviewing applications on Monday, May 4. Rolling admissions will begin Friday, May 8. Apply early!
- Can FYE students transitioning to Purdue ME apply? Yes
- Can Purdue ME students graduating in May 2020 apply? Yes, graduating domestic students may apply. Graduating international students may not apply (they would require Optional Practical Training (OPT), which is unavailable for this program).
- Can ME students outside Purdue apply? No
- Must I use my purdue.edu email to apply? Yes
- How many projects can I apply for? Up to 5
- Can I accept more than one project offer? No
- Is the acceptance of a project offer binding? Yes! If you accept an offer, you are expected to honor your commitment to your project team. Expectations is for ~20 hours/week, for the 10 week timeline of June 1 to August 7.
- How long do I have to accept or decline a project offer? Please accept or decline your project offer(s) within 3 calendar days from the offer date.
- I am a ME GEARE student. Will participation in a ME Summer Project meet the requirements for my international or domestic intern/research experience? Yes
- What’s the deadline to enroll in a ME project course for credit? Monday, June 1
- Which project course should I enroll in? Please consult your ME academic advisor to determine if you should enroll in ME 496 or ME 297.
- Can I change my mind on stipend vs. credit after I apply? No
- Will the project list be updated to reflect projects that are full? Yes, beginning on May 12.
Review the 2020 Summer Project List, and then fill out the application today!
Program questions? Julia King: firstname.lastname@example.org
Research questions? Song Zhang: email@example.com