Professor of Mechanical Engineering
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
Office: ME 2186
- Diplom Ingenieur University of Leoben, Austria, '90
- Ph.D. University of Leoben, Austria, '94
- Solid mechanics, multiscale and multiphysics modeling.
- Design of engineering material systems.
- Fracture and fatigue.
- Microarchitectured materials.
- Biomechanics of soft and hard tissues.
Fundamental Research Area(s)
Awards and Recognitions
- 2021 Fellow, Society of Engineering Science
- 2017 President Society of Engineering Science
- 2013-2015 NSF Program Director
- 2012 Fellow of ASME 2012
- 2011 Purdue University Faculty Fellow Study in a Second Discipline
- 2011 Outstanding Faculty Mentor Purdue LSMAPS Summer research program.
- 2009 Purdue Acorn Award for Contribution to the Purdue Research Enterprise.
- 2008 Purdue Acorn Award for Contribution to the Purdue Research Enterprise.
- 2008 Ruth and Joel Spira Award, Purdue University.
- 2004-2008 Purdue University Faculty Scholar.
- 2004 Discovery in Mechanical Engineering Award, Purdue University.
- 2003 Purdue Teach for Tomorrow Award.
- 1997-1999 Lecturer of the Federation of European Materials Societies (FEMS).
- 1995-1996 Erwin Schroedinger Fellowship, Austrian Science Foundation.
S. Laudage, E. Guenther, T. Siegmund, "Design and analysis of a lightweight beam-type topologically interlocked material system," Structures 51 (2023) 1402-1413.
B. Mackey, T. Siegmund, M. Sangid, "Simulating the evolution of non-metallic inclusions during the forging process," ASME Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering 145(7) (2023) 071008.
T. Ballance, T. Siegmund, "Wave propagation in a row of topologically interlocking tetrahedra," Granular Matter 25(1) (2023) 12.
K. Mahoney, T. Siegmund, "Mechanics of tubes composed of interlocking building blocks," International Journal of Engineering Science 174 (2022) 103654.
H.E. Ostergaard, J.D. Pribe, M.T. Hasib, A.M. Paradowska, T. Siegmund, J.J Kruzic, J.J., "Near-threshold fatigue crack growth in laser powder bed fusion produced alloy 718," International Journal of Fatigue 163 (2022) 107041.
J.D. Pribe, H.E. Ostergaard, T. Siegmund, J.J. Kruzic, "Transient creep-fatigue crack growth in creep-brittle materials: Application to Alloy 718," Fatigue & Fracture of Engineering Materials & Structures, 45(10) (2022) 2873-2889.
T.D Nguyen, J. Deng, B. Robert, W. Chen, T Siegmund, "Cooling prismatic battery cells through integrated features - experiments." Energy 244 (2022) 122580.
D.-Y. Kim, T. Siegmund, "Mechanics and design of topologically interlocked irregular quadrilateral tessellations." Materials and Design (2021) 110155.
J.D. Pribe, D.A. Addison, T. Siegmund, J.J. Kruzic, "High-temperature fatigue crack growth under transient overloading: Application to Alloy 617," International Journal of Fracture 7 (2021) 1-20.
T.D Nguyen, W. Tsutsui, J. Deng, B. Robert, W. Chen, T Siegmund, "Design and thermomechanical analysis of a cell-integrated, tapered channel heat sink concept for prismatic battery cells," Applied Thermal Engineering 189 (2021) 116676.