Professor of Mechanical Engineering - Perry Excellence Scholar
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
- B.S. University of Leoben, Austria, '87
- M.S. University of Leoben, Austria, '90
- Ph.D. University of Leoben, Austria, '94
- Micromechanics of materials
- Damage mechanics
- Computational fracture mechanics
- Design for structural integrity
- Composite materials and manufacturing
- Tissue mechanics
- Finite element method
Awards and Recognitions
- 2012 Fellow of ASME 2012
- 2011 Purdue University Faculty Fellow Study in a Second Discipline
- 2011 Outstanding Faculty Mentor Purdue LSMAPS Summer research program.
- 2009 Purdue Acorn Award for Contribution to the Purdue Research Enterprise.
- 2008 Purdue Acorn Award for Contribution to the Purdue Research Enterprise.
- 2008 Ruth and Joel Spira Award, Purdue University.
- 2004-2008 Purdue University Faculty Scholar.
- 2004 Discovery in Mechanical Engineering Award, Purdue University.
- 2003 Purdue Teach for Tomorrow Award.
- 1997-1999 Lecturer of the Federation of European Materials Societies (FEMS).
- 1995-1996 Erwin Schroedinger Fellowship, Austrian Science Foundation.
Ten Select Publications
Y. Feng, T. Siegmund, E. Habtour, J. Riddick, "Impact mechanics of topologically interlocked material assemblies," International Journal of Impact Engineering 75 (2015) 140-149.
S. Khandelwal, R.J. Cipra, J.S. Bolton, T. Siegmund, "Adaptive Mechanical Properties of Topologically Interlocking Material Systems," Smart Materials and Structures 24 (2015) 045037.
P. Bhattacharya, T. Siegmund, "Computational modeling of vibration-induced systemic hydration of vocal folds over a range of phonation conditions," International Journal for Numerical Methods in Biomedical Engineering 30 (2014) 1019-1043.
E. Hunter, T. Rieder, T. Siegmund, R.W. Chan, "Strain modulations as a mechanism to reduce stress relaxation in laryngeal tissues," PLoS Computational Biology 9 (2014) Article Number: e90762.
J.E. Kelleher, T. Siegmund, M. Du, E., Naseri, R.W. Chan, "Empirical measurements of biomechanical anisotropy of the human vocal fold lamina propria," Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology 12 (2013) 555-567.
W. Gao, K. Ramani, T. Siegmund, R.J. Cipra, "Kinetogami: A reconfigurable combinatorial and printable sheet folding," ASME Journal of Design 135 (2013) 111009.
S. Varanasi, J.S. Bolton, T. Siegmund, R.J. Cipra, "The low frequency performance of metamaterial barriers based on cellular structures," Applied Acoustics 74 (2013) 485-495.
K. Srinivasan, G. Subbarayan, T. Siegmund, "Analysis of wrinkling on irreversible foundations," Thin Solid Films 520 (2012) 5671-5682.
S. Khandelwal, R.J. Cipra, J.S. Bolton, T. Siegmund, "Transverse loading of cellular topologically interlocked solids," International Journal of Solids and Structures 49 (2012) 2394-2403.
T. Siegmund, M.R. Allen, D.B. Burr, "Can deterministic size effects contribute to fracture and microdamage accumulation in trabecular bone?" Journal of Theoretical Biology 265 (2010) 202-210.