Application Requirements for Online Master's
Thank you for your interest in Purdue's Mechanical Engineering Online Master's Program. Please look over the requirements below, and then complete your application online.
- July 1 for enrolling in the fall semester
- October 1 for enrolling in the spring semester
- March 15 for enrolling in the summer semester
Summer 2022 application deadline is March 15, 2022, 11:59pm EST.
GPA Requirement: The minimum recommended GPA to apply is 3.0 out of 4.0.
Degree Requirements: A Bachelor’s degree in engineering or science majors like physics, mathematics, chemistry, or related field.
The necessary documents to be submitted when applying are:
Official transcripts from all universities attended (Original language and English translations are both needed for international applicants)
- Upload official transcript copies to the application. After being admitted, you will need to provide final official transcripts in sealed envelopes to the Graduate School. E-transcripts can be sent to Purdue Graduate School firstname.lastname@example.org (U.S. schools only). Official transcripts are not returned.
- International applicants must upload a copy of any undergraduate diplomas or provisional certificates if diplomas have not been awarded, in original language and in English.
- Statement of purpose
- Three recommendation letters
- TOEFL or IELTS scores (international applicants only)
- GRE is NOT required.
When completing the Online Application: Please select West Lafayette as the campus you’re applying to and select distance/online as course delivery method. Please skip research area selection, as it is for on-campus program applicants. Application term is the semester of enrollment.
Application Frequently Asked Questions
- Who is eligible for a TOEFL waiver? If you received your BS degree within the past 36 months from a school where English is the primary instruction language, in one of the recognized English-speaking countries, your TOEFL can be waived. Please check the ETS website for recognized English-speaking countries. Please contact Xiaomin Qian after submitted application for waiver processing.
- How can I submit recommendation letters? You will be asked to provide your recommenders’ contact information. The system will send emails asking your recommenders to upload letters for you. You can’t upload letters by yourself. Your application is incomplete until all materials have been received, including recommendation letters.
- Where can I get official transcripts? Official transcripts shall come from your university registrar’s office. Please upload a copy of official transcripts from all universities you have attended to the application. Once you have been admitted, you will need to send final official transcripts showing degree has been awarded to the Grad School, Grad Admissions, Young Hall, Room 170, 155 S. Grant Street, West Lafayette, IN, 47907-2114. Domestic students can send e-transcripts to email@example.com. Transcripts are not returned.
- Do I have to submit a diversity essay? No.
- Are there length limitations on resume and statement of purpose? There is no hard limitation on length, but it’s better to keep them within two pages.
- Can I edit or add new documents to my application after submission? Once you submitted your application, you will not be able to edit it. But you can upload new materials as miscellaneous supporting documents. Please be aware if your application has been reviewed, we will not review it again, even if new documents have been added.
- Do you allow for rolling admissions? No, we only review completed applications for the term stated on the application. We will not hold incomplete applications for a future term to review. Applications need to be complete before 11:59pm EST by the deadline for that term to be reviewed.
- How long should I wait to get an admission decision? Time frame may vary depending on the application volume. You can login to your application account to check status. It is expected that you check your account for decision status, and not email the ME Grad Office regarding status.
- My application has been denied. Can I find out the reasons my application was turned down? Reasons for denial include a number of factors, such as academic qualifications and enrollment limitations. Each application is reviewed and considered based on these factors. Due to the large volume of applications, we are unable to individually respond as to what weakness your application may have had. Admission decisions are final.
- What is the deadline to accept online MS program admission? Please accept your admission within 2 weeks after being admitted.
- How can I defer my admission? You are allowed not to register courses for two semesters after being admitted, without deferring your admission. For example, you’ve been admitted to Fall 2021, you can wait till Summer 2022 to register. Any term longer than two semesters requires a deferral. If you will not attend in your admitted term or need a formal deferral, please inform Xiaomin Qian ASAP before the semester starts. Each student can only defer admission once. (Please note: if you request to defer admission, do not register for any courses in your originally admitted semester. Once you register, you are considered an active student in that semester and cannot defer.)
- Are there scholarships/assistantships available for online students? No. Funding is only available for on-campus students. Domestic students may apply for financial aid from Purdue Division of Financial Aid.