Ivan C. Christov
Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
Office: ME 2197
- Ph.D., Northwestern University, '11
- M.S., Northwestern University, '08
- M.S., Texas A&M University, '07
- S.B., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, '05
- Fluid mechanics
- Nonlinear dynamics and chaos
- Granular flow
- Complex fluids, including particulate and multiphase flows
- Microfluidics, including fluid--structure interactions
- Wave phenomena in continuum mechanics
- Applied mathematics and scientific computing
Awards and Recognitions
- Richard P. Feynman Distinguished Postdoctoral Fellowship in Theory and Computing at the Los Alamos National Laboratory, 2013
- NSF Mathematical Sciences Postdoctoral Research Fellowship at Princeton University, 2011
- Walter P. Murphy Fellowship at Northwestern University, 2007
- Naval Research Enterprise Internship Program Fellowship at the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory, Stennis Space Center, 2007
- Regents Fellowship at Texas A&M University, 2005
Ten Select Publications
Mengying Wang and Ivan C. Christov, "Cutting and shuffling with diffusion: Cut-offs in interval exchange maps," Physical Review E 98 (2018) 022221, doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.98.022221; e-print arXiv:1804.01448.
Tanmay C. Shidhore and Ivan C. Christov, "Static response of deformable microchannels: a comparative modelling study," Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter 30 (2018) 054002, doi:10.1088/1361-648X/aaa226; e-print arXiv:1709.03002.
Ivan C. Christov, "Nonlinear waves in electromigration dispersion in a capillary," Wave Motion 71 (2017) 42–52, doi:10.1016/j.wavemoti.2016.06.011; e-print arXiv:1603.08277.
Ivan C. Christov, Richard M. Lueptow, Julio M. Ottino and Rob Sturman, "A Study in Three-Dimensional Chaotic Dynamics: Granular Flow and Transport in a Bi-Axial Spherical Tumbler," SIAM Journal on Applied Dynamical Systems 13 (2014) 901-943, doi:10.1137/130934076; e-print arXiv:1404.4660.
Ivan C. Christov and P. M. Jordan, "On an instability exhibited by the ballistic-diffusive heat conduction model of Xu and Hu," Proceedings of the Royal Society A 470 (2014) 20130557, doi:10.1098/rspa.2013.0557.
Zhong Zheng, Ivan C. Christov and Howard A. Stone, "Influence of heterogeneity on second-kind self-similar solutions for viscous gravity currents," Journal of Fluid Mechanics 747 (2014) 218-246, doi:10.1017/jfm.2014.148.
Ivan C. Christov, "On a difficulty in the formulation of initial and boundary conditions for eigenfunction expansion solutions for the start-up of fluid flow," Mechanics Research Communications 51 (2013) 86-92, doi:10.1016/j.mechrescom.2013.05.005; e-print arXiv:1305.5999.
Ivan C. Christov and Howard A. Stone, "Resolving a paradox of anomalous scalings in the diffusion of granular materials," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA 109 (2012) 16012-16017, doi:10.1073/pnas.1211110109.
Ivan C. Christov, Julio M. Ottino and Richard M. Lueptow, "From streamline jumping to strange eigenmodes: Bridging the Lagrangian and Eulerian pictures of the kinematics of mixing in granular flows," Physics of Fluids 23 (2011) 103302, doi:10.1063/1.3653280.
Ivan Christov and Bojan Popov, "New non-oscillatory central schemes on unstructured triangulations for hyperbolic systems of conservation laws," Journal of Computational Physics 227 (2008) 5736-5757, doi:10.1016/j.jcp.2008.02.007.