Ivan C. Christov
Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
Office: FLEX 2021B
- Ph.D., Northwestern University, '11
- M.S., Northwestern University, '08
- M.S., Texas A&M University, '07
- S.B., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, '05
- Fluid Mechanics
- Soft Matter
- Granular Flow
- Nonlinear Waves
- Computational Science
Fundamental Research Area(s)
Awards and Recognitions
- Fulbright U.S. Scholar, 2022
- Graduate Teaching Award from the School of Mechanical Engineering, 2022
- Outstanding Engineering Instructor, recognized three times by the College (for ME309, ME509, and ME610)
- Outstanding Referee, American Physical Society, 2020
- Richard P. Feynman Distinguished Postdoctoral Fellowship in Theory and Computing at Los Alamos National Laboratory, 2013
- NSF Mathematical Sciences Postdoctoral Research Fellowship at Princeton University, 2011
- Walter P. Murphy Fellowship at Northwestern University, 2007
Daihui Lu and Ivan C. Christov, "Physics-informed neural networks for understanding shear migration of particles in viscous flow," International Journal of Multiphase Flow 165 (2023) 104476, doi:10.1016/j.ijmultiphaseflow.2023.104476.
Evgeniy Boyko and Ivan C. Christov, "Non-Newtonian fluid-structure interaction: Flow of a viscoelastic Oldroyd-B fluid in a deformable channel," Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics 303 (2023) 104990, doi:10.1016/j.jnnfm.2023.104990.
Xiaojia Wang and Ivan C. Christov, "Reduced modelling and global instability of finite-Reynolds-number flow in compliant rectangular channels," Journal of Fluid Mechanics 950 (2022) A26, doi:10.1017/jfm.2022.802.
Ivan C. Christov, "Soft hydraulics: from Newtonian to complex fluid flows through compliant conduits," Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter 34 (2022) 063001, doi:10.1088/1361-648X/ac327d; preprint arXiv:2106.07164. [invited topical review]
Pranay P. Nagrani, Federico Municchi, Amy M. Marconnet and Ivan C. Christov, "Two-fluid modeling of heat transfer in flows of dense suspensions," International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 183 (2022) 122068, doi:10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2021.122068.
Zongxin Yu and Ivan C. Christov, "Tuning a magnetic field to generate spinning ferrofluid droplets with controllable speed via nonlinear periodic interfacial waves," Physical Review E 103 (2021) 013103, doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.103.013103; preprint arXiv:2009.04644.
Ivan C. Christov, Robert J. Decker, A. Demirkaya, Vakhid A. Gani, P. G. Kevrekidis, Avinash Khare and Avadh Saxena, "Kink-Kink and Kink-Antikink Interactions with Long-Range Tails," Physical Review Letters 122 (2019) 171601, doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.122.171601; preprint arXiv:1811.07872.
Ivan C. Christov, Vincent Cognet, Tanmay C. Shidhore and Howard A. Stone, "Flow rate-pressure drop relation for deformable shallow microfluidic channels," Journal of Fluid Mechanics 841 (2018) 267-286, doi:10.1017/jfm.2018.30.
Ivan C. Christov and Howard A. Stone, "Resolving a paradox of anomalous scalings in the diffusion of granular materials," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA 109 (2012) 16012-16017, doi:10.1073/pnas.1211110109.