Eric A. Nauman
Professor of Mechanical Engineering, Professor of Basic Medical Sciences and Biomedical Engineering, (by Courtesy), Director of Honors Programs, College of Engineering
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
Office: ME 3061A
- B.M.E., University of Delaware, '95
- M.S.M.E., University of California - Berkeley, '98
- Ph.D., University of California - Berkeley, '00
- Cell and tissue mechanics
- Human injury
- Adult stem cell-based tissue regeneration
- Biophysics and biotransport
- HIRRT Laboratory (Human Injury Research and Regenerative Technologies)
Awards and Recognitions
- 1992, Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship–University of Delaware
- 1994, W. F. Lindell Mechanical Engineering Achievement Award – University of Delaware
- 1995, Taylor Award (Outstanding Male Graduating Student) – University of Delaware
- 1995, National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate Fellowship
- 1995, Berkeley Fellowship – University of California, Berkeley
- 1996, Outstanding Graduate Student Instructor Award–University of California, Berkeley
- 2002 AHMB Biomedical Engineering “Teacher of the Year” Award – Tulane University
- 2003, Faculty Marshall for 2003 Graduation – Tulane University
- 2004 AHMB Biomedical Engineering “Teacher of the Year” Award – Tulane University
- 2010 Purdue College of Engineering Early Career Research Award of Excellence
- 2010 Purdue University Faculty Scholar
- 2010 B.F.S. Schaefer Outstanding Young Faculty Scholar, School of Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University
- 2013 College of Engineering Team Award (Purdue Neurotrauma Group) with Thomas Talavage and Larry Leverenz
- 2013 Willis A. Tacker Prize for Outstanding Teaching in Biomedical Engineering
- 2014 A. A. Potter Best Teacher Award for Purdue’s College of Engineering
- 2014 Jeffrey F. Rhoads, Eric Nauman, Beth M. Holloway, Charles Morton Krousgrill. The Purdue Mechanics Freeform Classroom: A New Approach to Engineering Mechanics Education. 2014 ASEE Annual Conference. Best Paper Presentation Award and Overall Best Paper Presentation.
- 2014 Inducted into the Purdue Research Foundation’s Innovators Hall of Fame
- 2015 Harry Solberg Award for the Best Teacher in Purdue’s School of Mechanical Engineering
- 2016 Charles B. Murphy Outstanding Undergraduate Teacher Award and induction into Purdue’s Teaching Academy and the Book of Great Teachers
- 2016 Bernie Flowers Award for Outstanding Contributions to Amateur Football – Awarded to the Purdue Neurotrauma Group (Larry Leverenz, Eric Nauman, and Tom Talavage)
- 2016 University of Delaware Distinguished Career Award
Susilo, M.E., Bell, B.J., Roeder, B.A., Voytik-Harbin, S.L., Kokini, K., and Nauman, E.A. Prediction of equibiaxial loading stress in collagen-based extracellular matrix using a three- dimensional unit cell model. Acta Biomaterialia. Vol. 9, No. 3, p. 5544-5553, 2013.
Cook, D. D, Julias, M., and Nauman, E.A. Biological Variability in Biomechanical Engineering Research: Significance and Meta-Analysis of Current Modeling Practices. Journal of Biomechanics. Vol. 47, No. 6, p. 1241-1250, 2014.
Breedlove, K. M., Breedlove, E. L., Robinson, M., Poole, V. N., King, J. R. III, Rosenberger, P., Rasmussen, M., Talavage, T. M., Leverenz, L. J., and Nauman, E. A. Detecting Neurocognitive and Neurophysiological Changes as a Result of Subconcussive Blows in High School Football Athletes. Athletic Training and Sports Health Care. Vol. 6, No. 3, p. 119-127, 2014.
Abbas, K. Shenk, T. E., Poole, V. N., Robinson, M.E., Leverenz, L.J., Nauman, E. A., and Talavage, T. M. Effects of Repetitive Sub-Concussive Brain Injury on the Functional Connectivity of Default Mode Network in High School Football Athletes. Dev Neuropsych, Vol. 40, No. 1, p. 51-56, 2015.
Chan, D. D., Cai, L., Butz, K.D., Trippel, S.B., Nauman, E.A., and Neu, C.P. In vivo articular cartilage deformation: noninvasive quantification of intratissue strain during joint contact in the human knee. Sci Rep. 6, 2016.
Breedlove, K. M., Breedlove, E. L., Bowman, T. G., and Nauman, E. A. Impact Attenuation Capabilities of Football and Lacrosse Helmets. J. Biomech. Vol. 49, No. 13, p. 2838-2844, 2016.
Svaldi, D.O., McCuen, E.C., Joshi, C., Robinson, M.E., Nho, Y., Hannemann, R., Nauman, E.A., Leverenz, L.J., Talavage, T.M. Cerebrovascular Reactivity Changes in Asymptomatic Female Athletes Attributable to High School Soccer Participation. Brain Imaging Behav, 2016.
Cummiskey, B., Schiffmiller, D., Talavage, T.M., Leverenz, L., Meyer, J.J., Adams, D. and Nauman, E.A. Reliability and accuracy of helmet-mounted and head-mounted devices used to measure head accelerations. IMECHE Journal of Sports Engineering and Technology. Vol. 231, No. 2, p. 144-153, 2017.