Peter H. Meckl
Assistant Head of Mechanical Engineering, and Professor of Mechanical Engineering
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
Office: ME G084, HLAB 1015
- B.S. Northwestern, '81
- M.S. MIT, '84
- Ph.D. MIT, '88
- Motion and vibration control
- Adaptive control
- Intelligent control using fuzzy logic and neural networks
- Engine and emissions diagnostics
Awards and Recognitions
- ASME Auxiliary Farny Scholarship (1980)
- General Electric Scholarship (1981)
- DuPont Faculty Assistance Grant ($10,000) (1988)
- Caterpillar Foundation Young Faculty Development Grant ($5,000) (1989)
- NEC Faculty Fellow ($50,000) (July 1, 1990 - June 30, 1992)
- Ruth & Joel Spira Award for Excellence in Teaching (2000)
- DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) Visiting Professorship ($26,000) (2005)
- Best Paper Award in the HUMS (Health and Usage Monitoring System) category at the American Helicopter Society Meeting (May 2009)
Ten Select Publications
Joshi, A.A., James, S., Meckl, P., King, G., and Jennings, K, "Assessment of Charge-Air Cooler Health in Diesel Engines using Nonlinear Time Series Analysis of Intake Manifold Temperature," ASME J. of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol. 131, No. 4, July 2009.
Joshi, A.A., Meckl, P.H., King, G.B., and Jennings, K., "Data-dimensionality Reduction Using Information-Theoretic Stepwise Feature Selector," ASME J. of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol. 131, No. 4, July 2009.
Subrahmanya, N., Shin, Y.C., and Meckl, P.H., "A Bayesian machine learning method for sensor selection and fusion with application to on-board fault diagnostics,"
Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, Volume 24, Issue 1, Jan. 2010, pp. 182-192.
Yadav, A., Shaver, G., and Meckl, P., "Lessons learned: Implementing the case teaching method in a mechanical engineering course," ASEE J. of Engineering Education, Jan. 2010.
Shin, Y.J., and Meckl, P.H., "Application of Combined Feedforward and Feedback Controller with Shaped Input to Benchmark Problem," ASME J. of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol. 132, No. 2, March 2010.
Satkoski, C.A., Shaver, G.M., More, R., Meckl, P., Memering, D., Venkataraman, S., Syed, J., and Carmona-Valdes, J., "Dynamic Modeling of a Piezoelectric Actuated Fuel Injector," ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol. 133, No. 5, Sept. 2011.
Bhat, C.S., Meckl, P.H., Bolton, J.S., and Abraham, J., "Influence of fuel injection parameters on combustion-induced noise in a small diesel engine," The International Journal of Engine Research, in press.
Gul, K.A., Agarwal, D., and Meckl, P.H., "Motion Control of a Wire Bonder Z-axis for Residual Vibration Reduction," IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, accepted for publication pending revisions.
Lee, R.S.., Buzzard, G.T., and Meckl, P.H., "System Identification of a Two-link Flexible Joint Robot Using Optimal Parameter Estimation," ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, accepted for publication pending revisions.
Chatlatanagulchai, W., and Meckl, P.H., "Integrating Input Shaper with QFT-Based Controller to Effectively Reduce Residual Vibration in Slewing of a Two-Staged Pendulum with Uncertain Payload," submitted to Control Engineering Practice.