Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering, and Associate Director of Graduate Recruitment and Admissions
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
- B.S. Tsinghua University, '00
- M.S. Tsinghua University, '02
- M.S. University of Michigan - Ann Arbor, '06
- Ph.D. University of Michigan - Ann Arbor, '07
- Nanoscale heat transfer and energy conversion
- Multiscale multiphysics simulations of nanomaterials for energy applications
- Photovoltaic nanomaterials: simulation, synthesis, and devices
- Thermoelectric nanomaterials: simulation, synthesis and devices
- Nanoscale thermal radiation and nano-photonics
Awards and Recognitions
- National Science Foundation Faculty Early Career Development (NSF CAREER) Award, 2012
- Air Force Summer Faculty Fellow, 2010 and 2011
- Best Student Presentation Award, the 2008 Energy Nanotechnology International Conference (awarded to student Bo Qiu) , 2008
- University of Michigan Rackham Graduate School Predoctoral Fellowship, 2006
- University of Michigan College of Engineering Outstanding Graduate Student Instructor Award, 2005
- University of Michigan College of Engineering Distinguished Achievement Award, 2005
- Second place presentation award, Mechanical Engineering Graduate Student Symposium, U of M, 2004
- University of Michigan Rackham Graduate School Travel Grant, July 2004 and July 2005
- Spring/Summer Research Grant, Rackham-Vice President for Research, U of M, 2004
- Department of Mechanical Engineering Fellowship, University of Michigan, January-April 2003
- Tsinghua University Guanghua Scholarship, September 2001-July 2002
- Tsinghua University Distinguished Internship Award, November 2001
- Graduate with Honor of Tsinghua University, July 2000
- Tsinghua University Outstanding Bachelor’s Thesis Award, June 2000
- Tsinghua University Distinguished Leadership Award, September 1999
- Tsinghua University Academic Excellence Scholarship, September 1996-July 2000
Ten Select Publications
A. Sisto, X.L. Ruan, and T.S. Fisher, "Ab initio and Finite Element Predictions of Radiative Properties of Nanostructure Arrays: Single-Walled Carbon Nanotube Arrays", J. Heat Trans., in press, 2013.
H. Bao, B. Duvvuri, M.H. Lou, and X.L. Ruan, "Effects of Randomness and Inclination on the Optical Properties of Multi-walled Carbon Nanotube Arrays", Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy and Radiative Transfer, in press, 2013.
S. Finefrock, Y. Wang, J. Ferguson, J. Ward, H.Y. Fang, J. Pfluger, D. Dudis, X.L. Ruan, Y. Wu, "Measurement of thermal conductivity of PbTe nanocrystal coated glass fibers by the 3ω method", Nano Letters, in press, 2013.
J. Zuidema, X.L. Ruan, and T.S. Fisher, "Optical Properties of Ordered Carbon Nanotube Arrays Grown in Porous Anodic Alumina Templates", Optics Express 21, 22053-22062, 2013.
L.L. Chen, K.M. Rickey, Q. Zhao, C. Robinson, and X.L. Ruan, "Effects of Nanocrystal Shape and Size on the Temperature Sensitivity in Raman Thermometry", Appl. Phys. Lett. 103, 083107, 2013.
H.Y. Fang, T.L. Feng, H.R. Yang, X.L. Ruan, and Y. Wu, "Synthesis and Thermoelectric Properties of Compositional-Modulated Telluride Nanowire Heterostructures", Nano Letters 13, 2058-2063, 2013.
Y.G. Wang, B. Qiu, A. McGaughey, X.L. Ruan and X.F. Xu, "Mode-Wise Phonon Properties of Bismuth Telluride", J. Heat Trans. 135, 091102, 2013.
A. Vallabhaneni, B. Qiu, J.N. Hu , Y.P. Chen, A.K. Roy, X.L. Ruan, "Interfacial Thermal Conductance Limit and Thermal Rectification across Vertical Carbon Nanotube/Graphene Nanoribbon-Silicon Interfaces", J. Appl. Phys. 113, 064311, 2013.
Y. Wang, B. Qiu, and X.L. Ruan, "Edge effect on thermal transport in graphene nanoribbons: A phonon localization mechanism beyond edge roughness scattering", Appl. Phys. Lett. 101, 013101, 2012.
Y. Wang, X.L. Ruan, and A.K. Roy, "Two-temperature nonequilibrium molecular dynamics simulation of thermal transport across metal-nonmetal interfaces", Phys. Rev. B 85, 205311, 2012.