Associate Dean for Global Engineering Programs, and Robert V. Adams Professor in Mechanical Engineering
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
- B.Tech. Indian Inst. of Technology-Delhi, '91
- M.S.M.E. Purdue, '94
- Ph.D. California-Berkeley, '99
- Nonlinear dynamics
- Vibrations and dynamic stability
- Fluid-structure interactions
- Applications to atomic force microscopy
- Human biomechanics
- Piezoelectric resonators
- Rotating disks
- Translating webs
Awards and Recognitions
- Keeley Visiting Fellow, Wadham College, University of Oxford, UK, 2009
- University Faculty Scholar, 2008-2012
- B. F. S Schaefer Faculty Fellow, 2006-08
- College of Engineering Young Researcher Excellence Award, 2005
- Discovery in Mechanical Engineering Award, Purdue University, 2003
- National Science Foundation Early Career Development (CAREER) Award, 2002-2007
- Purdue Teaching for Tomorrow Award, 2002
- Research award, German Academic Exchange Council (DAAD) during post-doctoral research at the Institute for Mechanics, Technical University-Darmstadt, Germany, 1999
- Regents Fellowship, University of California, Berkeley, 1993 – 1994
- Six consecutive merit awards for 4.0 semester GPA’s, IIT Delhi, 1988-1991
Ten Select Publications
Daniel Kiracofe, Kei Kobayashi, Aleksander Labuda, Arvind Raman, and Hirofumi Yamada, "High efficiency laser photothermal excitation of microcantilever vibrations in air and liquids", Review of Scientific Instruments, accepted, 2010.
Thomas M. Huber, Bradley C. Abell, Daniel C. Mellema Matthew Spletzer, Arvind Raman, "Mode-selective Noncontact Excitation of Microcantilevers and Microcantilever Arrays in Air Using the Ultrasound Radiation Force", Applied Physics Letters, accepted, 2010.
J-L. Lozano, D. Kiracofe, J. Melcher, R. Garcia, A. Raman, "Calibration of higher-eigenmode spring constants of atomic force microscope cantilevers", Nanotechnology, 2010, in press.
J-W Lee, A. Mahopatro, D. Peroulis, A. Raman, "Vibration based monitoring and diagnosis of dielectric charging in RF-MEMS switches", IEEE-ASME Journal of Micro-electromechanical Systems, in press, 2010.
A. Jana, A. Raman, "Hydrodynamic impedance of vibrating disks in fluids: viscous vs. acoustic effects", in press, ASME Journal of Vibration and Acoustics, 132(6), 061001, 2010.
D. Kiracofe, A. Raman, "Microcantilever dynamics in atomic force microscopy when using higher order eigenmodes in liquid environments", Journal of Applied Physics, 108, 034320, 2010.
L. Biedermann, R. Tung, A. Raman, R. Reifenberger, M. Yazdanpanah, R. Cohn, "High sensitivity, high bandwidth force and mass sensing using silver gallium nanocantilevers", Nanotechnology, 21(30), 305701, 2010.
M. Spletzer, R. Reifenberger, A. Raman, "Spatio-temporal dynamics of microcantilevers tapping on samples observed under an atomic force microscope integrated with a scanning laser Doppler vibrometer: applications to proper orthogonal decomposition and model reduction", Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, 20(8), 085024, 2010.
R. Guo, E. C. Kinzel, Y. Li, S. M. Uppuluri, A. Raman, X. F. Xu, "Three dimensional mapping of optical near field of a nanoscale bowtie antenna", Optics Express, 18(5), 4961, 2010.
R. Tung, T. Wutscher, D. Martinez-Martin, R. Reifenberger, F. Giessibl, A. Raman, "Higher-order eigenmodes of qPlus sensors for high resolution dynamic atomic force microscopy", Journal of Applied Physics, 107(10), 104508, 2010.