Eric A. Nauman
Professor of Mechanical Engineering, Professor of Basic Medical Sciences and Biomedical Engineering, (by Courtesy), Director of Honors Programs, College of Engineering
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
- B.M.E., University of Delaware, '95
- M.S.M.E., University of California - Berkeley, '98
- Ph.D., University of California - Berkeley, '00
- Cell and tissue mechanics
- Human injury
- Adult stem cell-based tissue regeneration
- Biophysics and biotransport
- HIRRT Laboratory (Human Injury Research and Regenerative Technologies)
Awards and Recognitions
- 1992, Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship–University of Delaware
- 1994, W. F. Lindell Mechanical Engineering Achievement Award – University of Delaware
- 1995, Taylor Award (Outstanding Male Graduating Student) – University of Delaware
- 1995, National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate Fellowship
- 1995, Berkeley Fellowship – University of California, Berkeley
- 1996, Outstanding Graduate Student Instructor Award–University of California, Berkeley
- 2002 AHMB Biomedical Engineering “Teacher of the Year” Award – Tulane University
- 2003, Faculty Marshall for 2003 Graduation – Tulane University
- 2004 AHMB Biomedical Engineering “Teacher of the Year” Award – Tulane University
- 2010 Purdue College of Engineering Early Career Research Award of Excellence
- 2010 Purdue University Faculty Scholar
- 2010 B.F.S. Schaefer Outstanding Young Faculty Scholar, School of Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University
Ten Select Publications
Cook, D.D., Nauman, E., and Mongeau, L. Ranking vocal fold model parameters by their influence on modal frequencies. Submitted for review December 30, 2008 to the Journal of the Acoustical Society of America. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 126, No. 4, 2002-2010, 2009.
Susilo, M.E., Roeder, B., Voytik-Harbin, S., Kokini, K., and Nauman, E.A. Development of a Three Dimensional Unit Cell to Model the Micromechanical Response of a Collagen-Based Extracellular Matrix. Acta Biomaterialia. Vol. 6, No. 4, 1471-1486, 2010.
Sander, E.A. and Nauman, E.A. Effects of Reduced Oxygen and Glucose Levels on Ocular Cells, In vitro: Implications for Tissue Models. Cells Tissues Organs. Vol. 191, No. 2, 141-151, 2010.
Dickerson, D.A., and Nauman, E.A. Development and In Vitro Characterization of a Naturally Derived Scaffold for the Repair of Orthopaedic Interfaces. Journal of Orthopaedic Research. In Review.
Butz, K.D. Merrell, G., and Nauman, E.A. A Biomechanical Analysis of Finger Joint Forces and Stresses Incurred During Common Daily Activities. Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering. In Press.
Galle, B., Ouyang, H., Shi, R., and Nauman, E. A Transversely Isotropic Constitutive Model of Excised Guinea Pig Spinal Cord White Matter. Journal of Biomechanics. Vol. 43, No. 14, p. 2839-2843, 2010.
Ouyang, H., Sun, W., Fu, Y., Li, J., Cheng, J.X., Nauman, E.A., and Shi, R. Compression induces acute demyelination and potassium channel exposure in spinal cord. Journal of Neurotrauma. Vol. 27, No. 6, p. 1109-1120, 2010.
Butz, K.D., Merrell, G., and Nauman, E.A. A Three-Dimensional Finite Element Analysis of Finger Joint Stresses in the MCP. Journal of Applied Biomechanics. Manuscript in Review.
Talavage, T.M., Nauman, E.A., Breedlove, E.L., Yoruk, U., Dye, A.E., Morigaki, K., Feuer, H., Leverenz, L.J. Functionally-detected cognitive impairment in high school football players without clinically-diagnosed concussion. Journal of Neurotrauma. In Press.
Strickland, C.G., Aguiar, D.E., Nauman, E.A., and Talavage, T.M. Development of subject-specific geometric spine model through use of automated active contour segmentation and kinematics constraint-limited registration. Journal of Digital Imaging. In Press.