Professor of Mechanical Engineering
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
- B.Tech. Indian Inst. of Tech., '85
- M.S. Cornell University, '89
- Ph.D. Cornell University, '91
- Computational solid mechanics
- Computational geometry
- Microelectronics reliability
Awards and Recognitions
- 2011 Ruth and Joel Spira Award for Excellence in Teaching
- 2011 Intel Best Student Paper Award
- 2011 IEEE 61st Electronic Components and Technology Conference
- Elected Fellow, IEEE, 2011
- 2008-2009 Best Paper of the Year Award, ASME Journal of Electronic Packaging.
- 2008 Outstanding Paper Award, Thermal Track, IEEE Eleventh Intersociety Conference on Thermal and Thermomechanical Phenomena in Electronic Systems (Itherm 2008).
- Fellow, ASME, 2006.
- University Faculty Scholar Award, 2005-2010, Purdue University.
- “Mechanics Award,” Electronic and Photonic Packaging Division, ASME, November 2005.
- 2005 Discovery in ME Award, School of Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University.
- Best in Session Award, Modeling and Metrology, Semiconductor Research Corporation (SRC) Technical Conference, October 2005.
- 2003 Charles E. Ives Outstanding Paper Award (honorable mention, one of two papers selected for this mention), J. Imaging Science and Technology.
- 2002 Highly Commended Award, Soldering & Surface Mount Technology Journal.
- Best Paper Award, IEEE Seventh Intersociety Conference on Thermal and Thermomechanical Phenomena in Electronic Systems (Itherm 2000).
- NSF CAREER Award, April 1998.
- 1996 Peter A. Engel Best Paper Award, Journal of Electronic Packaging.
- IBM University Partnership Project Award, September 1995.
- NSF Research Initiation Award, July 1994.
- Invention Achievement Award, IBM Corporation, July 27, 1993.
- An Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award, Cornell University, 1988.
Ten Select Publications
A.Tambat and G. Subbarayan. "Isogeometric Enriched Field Approximations," Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, in press.
N. Bajaj, G. Subbarayan and S. Garimella, "Topological Design of Channels for Squeeze Flow Optimization of Thermal Interface Materials." International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 55, pp. 3360-3575, 2012.
D. Chan, G. Subbarayan, and L. Nguyen. "Maximum Entropy Principle for Modeling Damage and Fracture in Solder Joints: Enabling Life Predictions under Microstructural Uncertainty," Journal of Electronic Materials, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 398-411, 2012.
S. Goyal, K. Srinivasan, G. Subbarayan and T. Siegmund "On Instability-Induced Debond Initiation in Thin Film Systems," Engineering Fracture Mechanics, vol. 77, pp. 1298-1313, 2010.
V. Srinivasan, S. Radhakrishnan and G. Subbarayan, "Coordinated Synthesis of Hierarchical Engineering Systems," Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, vol. 199, pp. 392-404, 2010.
K. Srinivasan, S. Goyal, T. Siegmund, G. Subbarayan and Q. Lin, "Thermally-Induced Wrinkling in Thin-Film Stacks on Patterned Substrates," IBM Journal of Research and Development, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 12:1-12:10, 2009.
S. Kanuparthi, M. Rayasam, G. Subbarayan, B.G. Sammakia, A. Gowda, and S. Tonapi,. "Hierarchical Compositions for Simulations of Near-Percolation Thermal Transport in Particulate Materials." Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, vol. 198, pp. 657-668, 2009.
S. Mahajan, G. Subbarayan and B.G. Sammakia, "Estimating Thermal Conductivity of Amorphous Silica Nano-Particles and Nano-Wires using Molecular Dynamics Simulations," Physical Review E, 76, 056701, 2007.
M. Rayasam, V. Srinivasan, and G. Subbarayan. "CAD Inspired Hierarchical Partition of Unity Constructions for NURBS-based Meshless Design, Analysis and Optimization." International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, vol. 72, pp. 1452-1489, 2007.
Y. Luo and G. Subbarayan. "A Study of Multiple Singularities in Multi-Material Wedges and their Use in Analysis of Microelectronic Interconnect Structures." Engineering Fracture Mechanics, vol. 74, no. 3, pp. 416-430, 2007.