Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
Office: ME 2191
- Civil Engineer, Universidade da Coruna, Spain
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, Universidade da Coruna, Spain
- Modeling and simulation techniques for multiphase and multiphysics problems using the phase-field method.
- Isogeometric methods with applications in fluid and solid mechanics.
- Modeling and simulation tools for several biomechanics problems, including tumor growth, cellular migration and blood flow at small scales.
- Computational methods for fluid-structure interaction, especially when the problem involves complex fluids.
Awards and Recognitions
- Gallagher Young Investigator Award (US Association of Computational Mechanics)
- Princess of Girona Scientific Research Award (for Spanish researchers under age 36 in all fields of science, engineering and humanities; presented by the King of Spain)
- Young Investigator Award of the Royal Academy of Engineering, 2015 (Spain, all fields of engineering)
- Selected as one of the Innovators under 35 by MIT Technology Review, 2014 (Spain section)
- Juan C. Simo Young Investigator Award, 2013 (SEMNI, Spain)
- ERC Starting Grant, 2012 (European Commission)
- John T. Oden Faculty Fellowship, 2008 (UT Austin)
- Postdoctoral Fellowship of the Ministry of Science, 2007 (Spain)
- Outstanding PhD Thesis Award, Civil Engineering Doctoral Program, 2006 (Universidade da Coruna, Spain)
- Arquimedes Award to the best research work by an undergraduate, 2003 (Spain, all fields, Ministry of Science)
Ten Select Publications
G. Vilanova, I. Colominas, H. Gomez, A mathematical model of tumour angiogenesis: growth, regression and regrowth, Journal of the Royal Society Interface, 14:20160918, 2016.
J. Bueno, Y. Bazilevs, R. Juanes, H. Gomez, Droplet motion driven by tensotaxis, Extreme Mechanics Letters, 13, 10-16, 2017.
J. Bueno, H. Casquero, Y. Bazilevs, H. Gomez, Three-dimensional dynamic simulation of elastocapillarity, Meccanica, 1-17, 2017
G. Lorenzo, M. Scott, K. Tew, T.J.R. Hughes, Y.J. Zhang, L. Liu, G. Vilanova, H. Gomez, Tissue-scale, personalized modeling and simulation of prostate cancer growth, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 113 (48) E7663-E7671, 2016.
A. Moure, H. Gomez, Computational model for amoeboid motion: Coupling membrane and cytosol dynamics, Physical Review E, 94, 042423, 2016.
H. Gomez, L. De Lorenzis, The variational collocation method, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 309, 152-181, 2016.
J. Bueno, C. Bona-Casas, Y. Bazilevs, H. Gomez, Interaction of complex fluids and solids: Theory, algorithms and application to phase-change-driven implosion, Computational Mechanics, 55(6), 1105-11182015, 2015.
J. Liu, C.M. Landis, H. Gomez, T.J.R. Hughes, Liquid-vapor phase transition: Thermomechanical theory, entropy stable numerical formulation, and boiling simulations, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 297, 476-553, 2015.
H. Gomez, T.J.R. Hughes, Provably unconditionally stable, second-order time accurate, mixed variational methods for phase-field models, Journal of Computational Physics 230 5310-5327, 2011
H. Gomez, V. Calo, Y. Bazilevs, T.J.R. Hughes, Isogeometric Analysis of the Cahn-Hilliard phase-field model, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 197:4333-4352, 2008.