Terrence R. Meyer
Professor of Mechanical Engineering
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
Office: ME 3003A
- BME, University of Minnesota at Minneapolis-St. Paul, 1993
- MS, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1997
- PhD, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2001
- Laser spectroscopy and imaging for combustion, sprays, energetics, hypersonics, plasmas, and non-equilibrium flows
- Applications to gas-turbine, rocket, internal combustion, and scramjet engine performance, efficiency, and emissions
- Thermal-fluid behavior at the extremes, including turbulent, high-temperature, high-pressure, multiphase, and non-equilibrium reacting flows
Awards and Recognitions
- Visiting Professor, Erlangen Graduate School in Advanced Optical Technologies (SAOT), 2010-present
- NSF CAREER Award, Combustion, Fire, and Plasma Systems, 2011-2015.
- Best Presentation, 26th Annual Institute for Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems (ILASS)-Americas Conference, 2014
- William and Virginia Binger Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering, Iowa State University, 2011-2012
- Best Paper, Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics, Subcommittee on Active Optical Sensing, 2011
- General Co-Chair, 2010-2012, and Program Co-Chair, 2008-2010, Optical Society of America's Conference on Laser Applications to Chemical, Security, and Environmental Analysis
- Chair, 2009-2010, and Vice-Chair, 2008-2009, Optical Society of America's Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics, Subcommittee on Active Optical Sensing
- Co-editor, Applied Optics Special Issue, Laser Applications to Chemical, Security, and Environmental Analysis, 2011.
- Sub-committee Chair for Award Nominations, Aerodynamic Measurement Technology Technical Committee, AIAA, 2009-2015
- Gordon Research Conference on Laser Diagnostics in Combustion, Invited Lectures in 2007 and 2011, and Hot Topics Invited Talks in 2005 and 2009
- Cover feature for Applied Optics, 2003, Applied Spectroscopy, 2007, and Applied Optics, 2009
- Associate Fellow, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 2006
- Chair, Ohio Valley Section of the Society for Applied Spectroscopy, 2005-2006
- AIAA Dayton-Cincinnati Section Outstanding Technical Contribution Award, 2003
- AIAA Foundation Graduate Award in Fluid Dynamics (PhD dissertation), 2001
- Graduate Fellowships: Ford Foundation, 2000, NSF, 1994-1997, University of Illinois Foundation, 1994-1997
Ten Select Publications
T.R. Meyer, B.R. Halls, N. Jiang, M.N. Slipchenko, S. Roy, and J.R. Gord, "High-speed, three-dimensional tomographic laser-induced incandescence imaging of soot volume fraction in turbulent flames," Opt. Express 24(26), 29547-29555, 2016; doi: 10.1364/OE.24.029547.
B.R. Halls, J.R. Gord, T.R. Meyer, D.J. Thul, M.N. Slipchenko, and S. Roy, "20-kHz-rate three-dimensional tomographic imaging of the concentration field in a turbulent jet," Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, In press, 2016; doi:10.1016/j.proci.2016.07.007.
J.D. Miller, C.E. Dedic, and T.R. Meyer, "Vibrational femtosecond/picosecond coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering with enhanced temperature sensitivity for flame thermometry from 300-2400 K," J. Raman Spectrosc. 46(8), 702-707, 2015; doi:10.1002/jrs.4725.
C.D. Radke, J.P. McManamen, A.L. Kastengren, B.R. Halls, and T.R. Meyer, "Quantitative measurement of gas and liquid distributions using x-ray fluorescence and radiography in atomizing sprays," Opt. Lett. 40(9), 2029-2032, 2015; doi: 10.1364/OL.40.002029.
J.B. Michael, P. Venkateswaran, C.R. Shaddix, and T.R. Meyer, "Effects of repetitive pulsing on multi-kHz planar laser-induced incandescence imaging in laminar and turbulent flames," Appl. Opt. 54(11), 3331-3344, 2015; doi: 10.1364/AO.54.003331.
B.R. Halls, T.R. Meyer, and A.L. Kastengren, "Quantitative measurement of binary liquid distributions using multiple-tracer x-ray fluorescence and radiography," Opt. Express 23(2), 1730-1739, 2015; doi: 10.1364/OE.23.001730.
C.E. Dedic, J.D. Miller, and T.R. Meyer, "Dual-pump vibrational/rotational femtosecond/picosecond coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering temperature and species measurements," Opt. Lett. 39(23), 6608-6611, 2014; doi:10.1364/OL.39.006608.
J.B. Michael, P. Venkateswaran, J.D. Miller, M.N. Slipchenko, J.R. Gord, S. Roy, and T.R. Meyer, "100-kHz, thousand-frame burst-mode planar imaging in turbulent flames," Opt. Lett. 39(4), 739-742, 2014; doi:10.1364/OL.39.000739.
N. Jiang, M. Webster, W.R. Lempert, J.D. Miller, T.R. Meyer, C.B. Ivey, and P.M. Danehy, "MHz-rate Nitric Oxide Planar Laser-Induced Fluorescence Imaging in a Mach 10 Hypersonic Wind Tunnel," Appl. Opt. 50(4), A20-A28, 2011; doi: 10.1364/AO.50.000A20.
J.D. Miller, M.N. Slipchenko, T.R. Meyer, H.U. Stauffer, and J.R. Gord, "Hybrid fs/ps coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering for high-speed gas-phase thermometry," Opt. Lett. 35, 2430-2432, 2010; doi: 10.1364/OL.35.002430