Professor of Mechanical Engineering
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
Office: ME 3061F, ARMS
- B.S., ME Bogazici University, '76
- M.S., ME Syracuse University, '78
- Ph.D. Syracuse University, '82
- Thermal stresses, thermal fracture and fatigue of advanced materials, in particular high temperature materials, ceramic coatings.
- Mechanical behavior, design and remodeling of biological tissues, effect of stresses on remodeling, microbiomechanics of cell-extracellular matrix (ECM) interactions, tissue engineering
Awards and Recognitions
- Fellow, American Institute of Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE), February 2008
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, (ASME International), 2002
- ASME Johnson & Johnson Consumer Companies, Inc. Medal, 2008, awarded for "an unwavering commitment to diversity and inclusiveness, as evidenced in academic work and affiliations with professional associates, which has had a transformative impact on the discipline of engineering".
- Violet Haas Award, 2007, Purdue University Award for contributions to women (first male recipient)
- Dreamer Award, 2005, Purdue University Diversity Award named in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Fellow, Committee on Institutional Cooperation (CIC) Academic Leadership Program, 2007-08
- Chorafas Prize, Best Doctoral Student at Purdue, Alaina Pizzo, 2005
- Sigma Xi, Graduate Student First Place Research Award, Blayne A. Roeder, 2002
Ten Select Publications
S. Rangaraj and K. Kokini, “Fracture in Single-Layer Zirconia (YSZ)-Bond coat Alloy (NiCoCrAlY) Composite Coatings under Thermal Shock”, Acta Materiala, 52, pp.455-465, 2004.
B.A. Roeder, K. Kokini, J.P. Robinson, and S.L. Voytik-Harbin, 2004. Local, Three-dimensional Strain Measurements within Largely-Deformed Extracellular Matrix Constructs, Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, 126, pp. 699-708, 2004.
B. Zhou and K. Kokini, “Effect of surface pre-crack morphology on the fracture of thermal barrier coatings under thermal shock”, Acta Materiala, 52, pp. 4189-4197, 2004.
B. Zhou and K. Kokini, “Numerical Study on Thermal Fracture of Ceramic Coatings in High Heat Flux Environment”, Journal of Thermal Stresses, 27, pp. 1033-1052, 2004.
A.M. Pizzo, K. Kokini, L.C. Vaughn, B.Z. Waisner and S.L. Voytik-Harbin, “Extracellular Matrix (ECM) Microstructural Composition Regulates Local Cell-ECM Biomechanics and Fundamental Fibroblast Behavior: A Multidimensional Perspective”, Journal of Applied Physiology, 98, pp. 1909-1921, May 2005 (Highlighted Topic for May 2005)
A. Gilbert, K. Kokini and S. Sankarasubramanian, “Thermal Fracture of Zirconia-Mullite Composite Thermal Barrier Coatings Under Thermal Shock: An Experimental Study”, Surface and Coatings Technology, 202 (10), 2152-2161, 2008.
A. Gilbert, K. Kokini and S. Sankarasubramanian, “Thermal Fracture of Zirconia-Mullite Composite Thermal Barrier Coatings Under Thermal Shock: An Analytical Study”, Surface and Coatings Technology, 203 (1-2), 91-98, 2008.
B.A. Roeder, K. Kokini and S.L. Voytik-Harbin, “Fibril Microstructure Affects Strain Transmission within Collagen Extracellular Matrices”, ASME Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, 131 (3), Number 031004, 2009.
M. Susilo, B.A. Roeder, S.L. Voytik-Harbin, K. Kokini and E.A. Nauman, “Evaluation of a Unit Cell Model to Characterize the Micromechanical Response of a Collagen-Based Extracellular Matrix”, accepted, Acta Biomateriala, 2009.
S. Sankarasubramanian and K. Kokini, “Effect of Porosity on the Thermal Fracture of Plasma-Sprayed Zirconia Coatings: An Experimental Study”, submitted, 2009.