Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
- S.B. Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, '06
- M.S. Mechanical Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, '09
- Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, '13
- Dynamic modeling and optimal control; model predictive control; decentralized control
- Thermodynamics-based optimization; entropy generation minimization; exergy analysis
- Integrated energy management and storage in distributed energy systems, building systems
Awards and Recognitions
- U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Science Graduate Fellowship Award, 2010-2013
- ASME Graduate Teaching Fellowship, 2011-2012
- Eugene and Lina Abraham Fellowship, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2008
- Cummins Diversity Scholarship, 2005
- Pi Tau Sigma Mechanical Engineering Honor Society, 2004
- Tau Beta Pi National Engineering Honor Society, 2004
Ten Select Publications
N. Jain and A. Alleyne, "Exergy-Based Optimal Control of a Vapor Compression System." Energy Conversion and Management. (To appear)
A. Alleyne and N. Jain, "Transient Thermal Systems: Dynamics and Control." ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Magazine, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 6-14, 2014.
N. Jain, J. P. Koeln, S. Sundaram, and A. Alleyne, "Hierarchical Decentralized Control of Large-Scale Variable-Refrigerant-Flow Systems in Buildings." Journal of Process Control, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 798-819, 2014.
N. Jain, D. J. Burns, S. Di Cairano, C. R. Laughman, and S. A. Bortoff, "Model Predictive Control of Vapor Compression Systems." Proceedings of the 15th International Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Conference at Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, July 14-17, 2014.
N. Jain, S. Sundaram, and A. Alleyne, "Stability Analysis for Decentralized Control of Multi-Evaporator Vapor-Compression Cycle Systems." Proceedings of the 2012 IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Maui, HI, December 10-13, 2012.
N. Jain and A. Alleyne, "A Framework for the Optimization of Integrated Energy Systems." Applied Thermal Engineering, vol. 48, pp. 495-505, 2012.
B. Li, N. Jain, W. Mohs, S. Munns, V. Patnaik, J. Berge, and A. Alleyne, "Dynamic Modeling of Refrigerated Transport Systems with Cooling/Heating Mode Switch Operations." HVAC&R Research, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 974-996, 2012.
N. Jain and A. Alleyne, "Thermodynamics-Based Optimization and Control of Vapor-Compression Cycle Operation: Control Synthesis." Proceedings of the 2011 ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Conference, Arlington, VA, October 31-November 2, 2011.
N. Jain and A. Alleyne, "Thermodynamics-Based Optimization and Control of Vapor-Compression Cycle Operation: Optimization Criteria." Proceedings of the 2011 American Control Conference, San Francisco, CA, June 29-July 1, 2011.
N. Jain, B. Li, M. Keir, B. Hencey, and A. Alleyne, "Decentralized Feedback Structures of a Vapor Compression Cycle System." IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 185-193, 2010.