Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
Office: ME 3061M, HLAB 2065
- Mechanical Engineer, University of Buenos Aires, '02
- Ms.Sc., Aeronautics, California Institute of Technology, '06
- Ph.D., Aeronautics (Minor in Materials Science), California Institute of Technology, '11
- Development of predictive, mechano-chemical models and multi-scale numerical methods that provide new insight into the behavior of materials and structures, and that enable design and optimization of manufacturing process and product performance. Application areas of interest include: microstructure formation and evolution in confined granular systems (e.g., during powder compaction), and its performance under operation; design, optimization and performance of granular crystals (i.e., highly nonlinear acoustic metamaterials).
Awards and Recognitions
- 20th Annual Robert J. Melosh Competition, Finalist for the Best Student Paper in Finite Element Analysis (2010)
- USACM Travel Award, 9th World Congress on Computational Mechanics, Sydney, Australia (2010)
- Powell Foundation Fellowship, Division of Engineering and Applied Science, California Institute of Technology (2005-2006)
- National Presidency Diploma, Argentina (1995)
Ten Select Publications
Gonzalez M. and Cuitiño, A.M., "A nonlocal contact formulation for confined granular systems", Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 60, 333?350, 2012.
Gonzalez M., Yang J., Daraio C. and Ortiz M., "Mesoscopic approach to granular crystal dynamics", Physical Review E, 85, 016604, 2012.
Gonzalez M., Schmidt B. and Ortiz M., "Force-stepping integrators in Lagrangian mechanics", Int. J. Numerical Methods in Engng., 84, 1407-1450, 2010.
Gonzalez M., Schmidt B. and Ortiz M., "Energy-stepping integrators in Lagrangian mechanics", Int. J. Numerical Methods in Engng., 82, 205-241, 2010.
Gonzalez M. and Goldschmit M., "Inverse heat transfer problem based on a radial basis functions geometry representation", Int. J. Numerical Methods in Engng., 65, 1243-1268, 2006.
Gonzalez M., Goldschmit M., Assanelli A., Fernandez Berdaguer E. and Dvorkin E, "Modeling of the solidification process in a continuous casting installation for steel slabs", Metallurgical and Materials Transactions, 34B, 455-473, 2003.
Toscano R., Gonzalez M. and Dvorkin E., "Validation of a finite element model that simulates the behavior of steel pipes under external pressure", The Journal of Pipeline Integrity, 2, 74-84, 2003.