Payroll Information for Mechanical Engineering Graduate Staff

Engineering Employment Center (EEC): A.A. Potter Engineering Center, Room 127

The College of Engineering Employment Center,, is responsible for managing all fellowship, research assistantship, and teaching assistantship payroll information and permission for payment for University-related travel. Not following University regulations may result in late payroll deposits or even loss of funds. Note: The offers of fellowship, research assistantship, and teaching assistantship appointments are made by the Head of the School on the recommendation of the faculty and Associate Head for Graduate Studies, and not the COE Employment Center. Also, the actual take-home stipend amount depends upon the tax status of the individual student.

If you have an RA or TA appointment, or if your fellowship is being administered as an assistantship, please make sure that you complete Section 1 of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Form I-9 as stated in your offer letter prior to going to the Engineering Employment Center. If you are currently not funded, but pick up a position later, never begin working until you have completed both sections of your I-9.

Proper ID – contact the EEC,, to arrange for a time to bring ID to Wang Hall, Room 4008 (original documents – no copies).

SSN – All non-U.S. residents must apply for a social security number (if you do not have one) and the SSN must be submitted to the business office within 30 days of your hire date or your employment will end. In order to apply for an SSN, you will need to go to the business office to get an SSN Request Letter.

Direct Deposit – Purdue requires that you sign up for direct deposit of salary. If you do not have a bank account set up, you will need to get an account established and complete the banking information in Employee Self Service as soon as possible. When direct deposit is not on file, a paper check will be cut and held at Hovde Hall, Room 5 for two weeks and then will be put in US postal mail to the address on file if it is not picked up.

Non-exempt positions, graduate staff appointments, resident assistants and fellows are paid biweekly. The biweekly pay period starts on Sunday and ends 14 days later on a Monday (here's the biweekly payroll calendar). Faculty and staff exempt positions are paid monthly. Their pay period starts with the first of the month and ends on the last day. All students with fellowship, research assistantship, and teaching assistantship positions must review their payment information every paycheck.

To avoid late pay, report any changes in visa or I-20 status by bringing the needed documents to the COE Employment Center (Wang 4008) as soon as a change is approved. Also notify the center of any change in address; changing your address on myPurdue does not change it on payroll records.

Notify the COE Employment Center of any change in funding. Check with the COE Employment Center before each semester to make certain your Major Professor has reported the changes in your funding that you have discussed. Students should request the Major Professor also notify the ME Graduate Office when a change in funding level (e.g., half-time or quarter-time) or type (e.g., research assistantship to fellowship) is made. Travel on university business (attending conferences, meeting sponsors, etc.) must be approved by the Major Professor and the Head of the School before the trip and it must adhere to the regulations to obtain reimbursement for expenditures.

If at any time your support changes, including if it ends, please notify immediately of the change to avoid being paid incorrectly or not at all.


If you hold a half-time TA or RA appointment, or a Fellowship that is being administered as an assistantship, you are eligible for the Graduate Staff Insurance program. There are multiple plans available for you to select and premiums for each plan are different. You may go to to look at these different plans before enrolling in one.

If your appointment drops below half time, you will automatically be dropped from the insurance program.

Vacation Time

Grads in ME are appointed on the Fiscal Year (12-month) cycle and have a total of 22 days of vacation time available each year. You must be employed for three months before you are allowed to take any paid vacation days. Vacation days are accumulated by the month and you cannot use them before they are earned. You will accumulate two days of vacation every month that you are employed with the exception of September and March in which only one day is accumulated for each month. Vacation requests must be approved by your supervisor prior to the leave being taken. Accumulated vacation days will be forfeited if you leave the University for any reason or if there is a break in employment.

To use vacation days, submit your leave request through SuccessFactors. Since the TA appointments in ME are on the FY schedule, you will need to submit a vacation request in Success Factors during the school breaks when no classes are in session.

Purdue Holidays can be found at:  Any days taken off besides the Holidays listed must be taken as vacation.

Request Verification of Employment

For students who need to request verification of previous employment at Purdue, please see for instructions.


ME Graduate Office
585 Purdue Mall (Room 1003)
West Lafayette, IN 47907
(765) 494-5730