Senior Research Scientist/Continuing Lecturer
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
Office: POTR 316B
- Ph.D. Purdue University, '06
- M.S. Korean Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), '01
- B.S. Korea University, '98
- Light scattering
- Discrete dipole approximation (DDA)
- Biomedical optics
- Instrument development for food safety
- Optical characterization of soot
Fundamental Research Area(s)
Awards and Recognitions
- Burton D. Morgan Business Plan Competition: finalist, Purdue University, USA, 2009
- Graduate school fellowship, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, Republic of Korea, 1999-2001
- US Army commendation medal, HHC, 34th Support Group, 8th United States Army, Republic of Korea, 1997
- Undergraduate fellowship, Korea University, Republic of Korea, 1993-1995
N. Bai, A.K. Bhunia, G.B. King, E.D. Hirleman, and E. Bae “An integrated morphology analyzer for characterization of optical properties of bacterial micro-colonies”, Measurement Science and Technology, in preparation, 2011.
E. Bae, N. Bai, and E.D. Hirleman “Application of sampling criterion on numerical diffraction from bacterial colonies”, Applied Optics, in press, 2011.
E. Bae, A. Aroonnual, A.K. Bhunia, and E.D. Hirleman “On the sensitivity of forward scattering patterns from bacterial colonies to media composition”, Journal of Biophotonics, Vol.4, No.4, pp.236-243, 2011.
E. Bae, N. Bai, A. Aroonnual, A.K. Bhunia, and E.D. Hirleman “Label-free identification of bacterial microcolonies via elastic scattering”, Biotechnology and Bioengineering, Vol. 108, No. 3, pp.637-644, 2011.
E. Bae, N. Bai, A. Aroonnual, A.K. Bhunia, J.P. Robinson, and E.D. Hirleman “Modeling the propagation of light through bacterial colonies and their correlation to the forward scattering patterns”, Journal of Biomedical Optics, Vol. 15, 019004, 2010.
E. Bae, A. Aroonnual, A.K. Bhunia, J.P. Robinson, and E.D. Hirleman “System automation for a bacterial colony detection and identification instrument via forward scattering”, Measurement Science and Technology, Vol. 20, 015802, 2009.
E. Bae, and E.D. Hirleman, “Computational analysis and diagonal preconditioning for the discrete dipole approximation on surface”, Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy and Radiative Transfer, Vol. 110, pp.51-61, 2009.
P.P. Banada, K. Huff, Amornrat Aroonnual, E. Bae, B. Rajwa, B. Bayraktar, A. Adil, J.P. Robinson, E.D. Hirleman, and A.K. Bhunia, “Label-free detection of multiple bacterial pathogens using light scattering sensor”, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, Vol. 24, pp.1685-1692, 2009.
E. Bae, H. Zhang, and E.D. Hirleman, “Application of discrete dipole approximation for dipoles embedded in film”, Journal of Optical Society of America A, Vol. 25, No. 7, pp.1728-1736, 2008.
E. Bae, P.P. Banada, K. Huff, A.K. Bhunia, J.P. Robinson, and E.D. Hirleman, “Analysis of time-resolved scattering from macroscale bacterial colonies”, Journal of Biomedical Optics, Vol. 13, 014010, 2008.