Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering
West Lafayette, IN 47906
Office: FLEX 2081A
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Mechanical Eng., Stanford University, USA, 2012-2014
- Ph.D. Mechanical Eng., Queen's University, Canada, '12
- M.Sc. Astronautical Eng., Università Federico II, Italy, '08
- B.Sc. Aerospace Eng., Università Federico II, Italy, '06
- Large eddy and direct simulations
- Turbulent Combustion
- Non-linear acoustics
- Heat-and-mass transfer
- Physical oceanography and limnology
- Numerical methods for complex geometries
Awards and Recognitions
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, CTR, NASA/Stanford University
- RISUM-Campaniaerospace Research Grant
- Louisa A. Fowler Graduate Fellowship
- Duncan and Urlla Carmichael Fellowship
- Gianni Astarita Prize
Ten Select Publications
C. Scalo, J. Bodart, and S. K. Lele, "Compressible Turbulent Channel flow with impedance boundary conditions", Phys. Fluids, 027503, 2015. http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4914099
C. Scalo, S. K. Lele, and L. Hesselink, "Linear and Nonlinear Modeling of a Theoretical Traveling-Wave Thermoacoustic Heat Engine"", J. Fluid Mech., 766:368-404, 2015. http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/jfm.2014.745
C. Scalo, Boegman, L., and Piomelli, U. "Self-similar decay and mixing of a high-Schmidt-number passive scalar in an oscillating boundary layer in the intermittently turbulent regime." J. Fluid Mech. 726:338-370, 2013.
C. Scalo, Boegman, L., and Piomelli, U. "Large-eddy simulation and low-order modeling of sediment oxygen uptake in a transitional oscillatory flow." J. Geophys. Res.-Oceans, 118:1-14, 2013.
G. Lee, C. Scalo, and Piomelli, U. "A simple technique for the visualization of eddy kinematics in turbulent flows." Int. J. Comput. Fluid Dyn., 26(4):263-274, 2012.
C. Scalo, U. Piomelli and L. Boegman, "High-Schmidt-number mass transport mechanisms from a turbulent flow to absorbing sediments." Phys. Fluids 24, 085103, pp. 1-16, 2012.
C. Scalo, U. Piomelli and L. Boegman, "Large-eddy simulation of oxygen transfer to organic sediment beds." J. Geophys. Res.-Oceans 117, C06005, pp. 1-17, 2012.
I. Langella, C. Scalo, G. de Felice and C. Meola, "Loss of monotonicity and anomalous scaling behavior in the passive scalar gradient: a DNS study on causes of intermittency", International Journal of Numerical Methods for Heat & Fluid Flow, 23(1), pp. 108-123, 2012
V. Grazioso, C. Scalo, G. de Felice, C. Meola, "High Level Languages Implementation and Analysis of 3D Navier-Stokes Solvers", Advances in Applied Mathematics and Mechanics, 3, pp. 370-388, 2011.
U. Piomelli and C. Scalo, "Subgrid-scale modelling in relaminarizing flows." Fluid-Dynamic Research, 42, 45510, 2010.