Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Villanova University, '98
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, The Pennsylvania State University, ‘00
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering & Applied Mechanics, University of Pennsylvania, '08
- Multi-scale robotic manipulation and assembly
- Mobile micro/nano robotics
- Micro/nano aerial vehicles
- Micro-Bio robotics
- Automation for the life sciences
Awards and Recognitions
- John J. Gallen Memorial Award,, Villanova University College of Engineering Alumni Society, 2013.
- Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Award, National Science Foundation, 2012
- Who’s Who in Engineering Higher Education (WWEHE), AcademicKeys, 2012.
- Frontiers of Engineering Education Symposium, National Academy of Engineering, Invitee and participant, 2011
- Harvey N. Davis Distinguished Assistant Professor Teaching Award, Stevens Institute of Technology, 2010
- Young Scientist Award, Association for Laboratory Automation and IEEE Robotics and Automation Society, 2010
- GAANN Fellowship Award, University of Pennsylvania, 2003-2004
- NAI Award, Radionics, 2003
- Graduate Scholar Fellowship Award,, The Pennsylvania State University, College of Engineering, 1998-2000
- Magna Cum Laude, Villanova University, 1998
- Academic Excellence Award, Villanova University, College of Engineering, 1998
- Meritorious Service Award, Villanova University, College of Engineering, 1998
- Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges, Villanova University, 1998
- National Honor Societies: Tau Beta Pi, Pi Tau Sigma, Phi Kappa Phi
Ten Select Publications
Y. Long, D. Cappelleri, “Global Trajectory Tracking Control Design and Control Allocation for the Omnicopter MAV”, Advanced Robotics, to appear, 2013.
W. Jing, N. Pagano, D. Cappelleri, “A Novel Micro-Scale Magnetic Tumbling Microrobot”, Journal of Micro-Bio Robotics, Vol. 8, Issue 1, pp. 1-12, 2013, DOI: 10.1007/s12213-012-0053-1.
D. Cappelleri, N. Vitoroulis, “The Robotic Decathlon: Project-Based Learning Labs and Curriculum Design for an Introductory Robotics Course”, Special Issue on Robotics Education, IEEE Transactions on Education, Vol. 56, Issue 1, pp 73-81, February, 2013, DOI: 10.1109/TE.2012.2215329.
D. Cappelleri, Z. Fu. M. Fatovic, U. Shah, “Caging for 2D and 3D Micromanipulation”, Journal of Micro-Nano Mechatronics, Vol. 7, Issue 4, pp 115-129, December 2012, DOI: 10.1007/s12213-012-0050-4.
D. Cappelleri, P. Cheng, J. Fink, B. Gavrea, V. Kumar, “Automated Assembly for Meso-Scale Parts”, IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering, Vol. 8, Issue 3, pp. 598-613, 2011.
D. Cappelleri, G. Piazza, V. Kumar, “A Two Dimensional Vision-Based Force Sensor for Microrobotic Applications”, Sensors & Actuators: A Physical, Vol. 171, Issue 2, pp. 340-351, 2011.
D. Cappelleri, A. Halasz, J-Y. Sul, T. Kim, J. Eberwine, and V. Kumar, “Towards A Fully Automated High-Throughput Phototransfection System”, Journal of the Association for Laboratory Automation (JALA), vol. 15, pp. 329-341, August 2010. DOI: 10.1016/j.jala.2010.03.003
D. Cappelleri, G. Krishnan, C. Kim, V. Kumar, “Towards the Design of a Decoupled, Two-Dimensional, Vision-Based μN Force Sensor”, ASME Journal of Mechanisms and Robotics, Vol 2, Issue 2, May 2010.
J-Y Sul, C. K. Wu, F. Zeng, J. Jochems, M. T. Lee, T. K. Kim, T. Peritz, P. Buckley, D. Cappelleri, M. Maronski, M. Kim, V. Kumar, D. Meaney, J. Kim and J. Eberwine, “Transcriptome Transfer Produces a Predictable Cellular Phenotype”, Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, 2009: May 5;106(18):7624-9. Epub 2009 Apr 20. PMCID: PMC2670883.
D. Cappelleri, M. Frecker, T. Simpson, and A. Snyder, “A Metamodel-Based Approach for Optimal Design of a PZT Bimorph Actuator for Minimally Invasive Surgery”, ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, 124:2 (354-357), 2002.