Professor Of Mechanical Engineering
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
- Diploma, Mechanical Engineering, National Technical University of Athens (NTUA), Greece, '95
- M.S. Engineering Science and Mechanics, Virginia Tech, '98
- Ph.D., Engineering Science and Mechanics, Virginia Tech, '00
- Measurement science and instrumentation
- Particle image velocimetry
- Quantification of uncertainty
- Multi-phase flows
- Flow induced vibrations and hydro-kinetic energy
- Biological flows
- Biofluid mechanics
- Biomedical cardiovascular devices
- Heart failure and diastolic dysfunction
Awards and Recognitions
- 2013 Journal Measurement Science and Technology, Journal Highlights, Raben, S.G., Charonko, JJ, Vlachos, P.P., "Adaptive Gappy Proper Orthogonal Decomposition (POD) for Particle Image Velocimetry (PIV) Data Reconstruction"
- Outstanding Paper Award, 2013 ASME Global Congress on Nano Engineering for Medicine and Biology, awarded for Cara Buchanan, et. al. Tissue-Engineered Tumor Microvessels to Study Shear Stress-Mediated Angiogenesis.
- 2012, Robert E. Hord Professor of Mechanical Engineering Dept. College of Engineering, Virginia Tech.
- 2010, John R. Jones Faculty Fellow, Mechanical Engineering Dept. College of Engineering, Virginia Tech.
- Moody Award ASME Division of Fluids Engineering 2011, most outstanding technical paper dealing with the practice of fluids engineering
- 2010 Outstanding Paper Award, Fluid Mechanics, journal of Measurement Science and Technology, Institute of Physics
- 2009 Outstanding Paper Award, Fluid Mechanics, journal of Measurement Science and Technology, Institute of Physics
- Dean's Award of Excellence in Research, Virginia Tech 2009-2010
- Virginia Tech Scholar of the Week, 2010.
- W. M Reed Lecture, University of Kentucky, April 2008
- Keynote speaker, Fluids Engineering Summer Meeting 2007, Forum on Fluid Measurement and Instrumentation
- College of Engineering Faculty Fellow Award 2007
- Moody Award ASME Division of Fluids Engineering 2007, most outstanding technical paper dealing with the practice of fluids engineering
- National Academy of Engineering 2006 Frontiers of Engineering Symposium. Nominated and selected attendee. One out of 81 attendees across the nation, across all areas of engineering and academia, government or industry. (Abstract from the news release "...Frontiers of Engineering attendees - engineers 30 to 45 years of age and representing academia, industry and government - were nominated and selected in recognition of their contributions to the advancement of engineering and their potential as future leaders in their fields..."
- NSF CAREER 06 Arterial Flow Dynamics: Effects of Pulsatility Compliance and Curvature
- MIT 2005 11th Annual T.F. Ogilvie Award, Young Investigator Lectureship in Ocean Engineering and Fluid Mechanics
- Dean's Award of Excellence for Outstanding Assistant Professor Virginia Tech 2004-2005
- Member of Hellenic Academia of Abroad (HELLADIA Organization) May 2000. Recognition to promising or established Greek scientists outside the Greek borders.
Ten Select Publications
John J. Charonko and Pavlos P. Vlachos, "Estimation of uncertainty bounds for individual PIV measurements from cross correlation peak-ratio", Measurement Science and Technology 2013 Apr 26; 24(6):065301.
Navish Wadhwa, Pavlos P. Vlachos, and Sunghwan Jung, "Noncoalescence in the Oblique Collision of Fluid Jets" Physical Review Letters 110(12):124502.
Charonko J. John, Stewart C. Kelley, Kumar Rahul, Vlachos P. Pavlos, Little C. William, "The Role of Vortex Formation in Left Ventricular Filling" Annals of Biomedical Engineering Springer; 2013;:1-13.
David Hubble, Thomas E. Diller, and Pavlos P. Vlachos, "The Vortex Induced Mechanism of Heat Transfer Augmentation" Journal of Fluid Mechanics 2013 Feb 8;718:89-115.
Shuyan Xiao, John J. Charonko, Xiangping Fu, Alireza Salmanzadeh-Dozdabi, Rafael V. Davalos, Pavlos P. Vlachos, Carla V. Finkielstein and Daniel G. S. Capelluto, "Structure, Sulfatide-binding Properties, and Inhibition of Platelet Aggregation by a Disabled-2-derived Peptide", Journal of Biological Chemistry ASBMB; 2012;287(45):37691-702.
Stewart C. Kelley, Charonko J. John, Kumar Rahul, Little C. William, Vlachos P. Pavlos, "Left ventricle filling vortex formation is unaffected by diastolic impairment" Journal of the American Physiology Society - Heart and Circulation 2012;303(10):H1255-62.
B. H. Timmins, B. L. Smith, and Pavlos P. Vlachos, "Automatic Particle Image Velocimetry Uncertainty Quantification," Experiments in Fluids doi:10.1007/s00348-012-1341-1
Raben, S.G., Charonko, JJ, Vlachos, P.P., "Adaptive Gappy Proper Orthogonal Decomposition (POD) for Particle Image Velocimetry (PIV) Data Reconstruction", Measurement Science and Technology, 23(2), 025303. doi:10.1088/0957-0233/23/2/025303
Stewart KC, Charonko JJ, Kumar R, Vlachos PP, Little WC, "New Method of Evaluating Left Ventricular Diastolic Function from Color M-mode Echocardiography". Journal of the American College of Cardiology: Imaging Vol. 4, Issue 1, January 2011, Pages 37-46
Eckstein AC, Charonko JJ and Vlachos PP, "Phase correlation processing for DPIV measurements" Experiments in Fluids, Volume 45, Issue 3, pp.485-500