Donald W. Feddersen Professor of Mechanical Engineering, by courtesy in Electrical and Computer Engineering
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
Office: ME 3176
- B.S. IIT Madras, '85
- M.S. Ohio State, '87
- Ph.D. Stanford, '91
- Computational geometry
- Geometric modeling
- Product design
- Conceptual design
- Applications: engineering, bio-x, and medical
Awards and Recognitions
- Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2010.
- Best Student Paper Award, Computer-Aided Design and Applications, 2010.
- Outstanding Commercialization Award for Purdue University Faculty, 2009-10.
- Best Paper Award, ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conference (IDETC), Computers and Information in Eng./CAPPD, 2009.
- Most Highly Cited paper in the Journal of Computer-Aided Design for 2007 (Won the award for the second time from Elsevier)
- Thomas French Award, The Ohio State University, 2007.
- Purdue University, College of Engineering’s only Research Excellence Award for 2007 for his achievements in discovery, learning, and entrepreneurship and for his innovative research in information and shape sciences.
- Most Highly Cited paper in the Journal of Computer-Aided Design for 2004-06.
- Purdue Acorn Award, 2006.
- Innovation of the Year Award (second place), Techpoint, Indiana, 2006
- Discovery in Mechanical Engineering Award 2005
- University Faculty Scholar, Purdue University 2002
- Society for Manufacturing Engineers, Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer, 1999
- Ruth and Joel Spira Award for Outstanding Contributions to the Mechanical Engineering Curriculum, Purdue University 1997
Ten Select Publications
Yu-Shen Liu, Yi Fang, Karthik Ramani, "Using least median of squares for structural superposition of flexible proteins," BMC Bioinformatics, 2009, 10:29. [Impact factor: 3.78]. [This journal is ranked among the top 10-15% of all ISI indexed journals, ranked #3 of 28 in Mathematical and Computational Biology]
Min Liu, Yushen Liu, Karthik Ramani. Computing the global visibility maps for surfaces on polyhedra using Minkowski sums. Computer-Aided Design, 41, 2009, 668-680. [Indexed in PubMed]
Yi Fang, Yushen Liu, and Karthik Ramani, Three dimensional shape comparison of flexible proteins using the local-diameter descriptor, BMC Structural Biology, 2009, 9:29. [Impact factor: 3.00]. [This journal is ranked among the top 10-15% of all ISI indexed journals]
Yu-Shen Liu, Yi Fang, Karthik Ramani. IDSS: deformation invariant shape signatures of flexible proteins. BMC Bioinformatics, 10:157, 2009.[Impact factor: 3.78]. [This journal is ranked among the top 10-15% of all ISI indexed journals, ranked #3 of 28 in Mathematical and Computational Biology]
Subramaniam Jayanti, Yagnanarayanan Kalyanaraman, Karthik Ramani, "Shape-based clustering for 3d CAD objects: A comparative study of effectiveness", Computer-Aided Design, In Press, Accepted Manuscript, Available online 24 July 2009. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cad.2009.07.003
S. Devanathan and K. Ramani. "Creating polytope representations of design spaces for visual exploration using consistency techniques", In Print, ASME Journal of Mechanical Design.
Devanathan, S., Ramanujan, D., Bernstein, W., Zhao, F., and Ramani, K., "Integration of Sustainability into Early Design through Function Impact Matrix," In Print, ASME Journal of Mechanical Design.
Mun, D., Cho, J., and Ramani, K., "Knowledge-based part similarity measurement utilizing ontology and multi-criteria decision making method," Advanced Engineering Informatics. (Accepted for Publication) [Impact Factor 1.85, 5-Year Impact Factor 2.4]
Dongxing, C., Ramani, K., and Li, Z., "Ontology-based customer preference modeling via information retrieval towards concept generation," Advanced Engineering Informatics. (Accepted for Publication) [Impact Factor 1.85, 5-Year Impact Factor 2.4]
Sellamani, S., Muthuganapathy, R., Kalyanaraman, Y., Murugappan, S., Ramani, K., and Hoffman, C., "PCS: Prominent Cross-Sections for Mesh Models," In Print, Computer-Aided Design and Applications. [Best Student Paper Award]