Hybrid Vehicle Systems Certificate
The Hybrid Vehicle Systems (HVS) Certificate is available to graduate students in good standing in the College of Engineering. The certificate program is focused on providing students a framework for gaining relevant expertise in the area of advanced hybrid vehicle systems. The HVS Certificate requires 9 hours of graduate level coursework along with attendance at one HVS workshop or poster show.
Below are the eligibility requirements and steps to apply for the HVS Certificate Program:
- Degree seeking graduate students in good standing (cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher) in the College of Engineering, on West Lafayette campus only, may be considered for admission to the HVS Certificate program.
- Students initially apply to the program by submitting the Preliminary Application to the HVS Certificate Program to the ME Graduate Office. The student’s major professor’s signature is required on the application form.
- The preliminary application form will be reviewed, and if approved, the student will be advised to complete the Purdue Graduate School application specifically for the Hybrid Vehicle Systems certificate program. The Graduate School application will require payment of the application fee. This fee is currently $60 for domestic student and $75 for international students.
- The HVS Certificate program requires completion of 9 hours of graduate level coursework selected from the approved course list. The courses must be completed with a grade.
Architecture (complete one):
ABE 69100/ME 69700 Hydraulic Power Trains & Hybrid Systems
ECE 59500 Hybrid Electric Vehicles
Energy Storage or Controls (complete one):
ChE 59700 Intro to Energy Storage Systems
MSE 59700 Design & Simulation of Rechargeable Batteries
ME 57500 Theory & Design of Control Systems
Prime Mover (i.e. motor/engine) (complete one):
ECE 61000 Energy Conversion
ABE 59100/ME 59700 Design of Fluid Power Systems
ME 54000 Internal Combustion Engines
- In addition to the coursework, the certificate requires attendance/participation at one HVS workshop or poster show. Students must present a poster at the poster show to pass this requirement.
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 must be maintained for all graded courses applied to the certificate. Grades of B- or below are not allowed.
- Courses from another institution and undergraduate level courses may not be applied to the HVS certificate.
- Course credits used to satisfy requirements for the HVS certificate may also be used on the MS, PhD or DPhD plans of study.
- Students may apply up to 9 graduate level (Purdue graded) hours, completed before admission, to the certificate program, so long as those courses appear on the HVS certificate program list.
- Students entering the HVS Certificate program are expected to complete the certificate within 24 months of admission. A maximum of 36 months to complete the certificate may be allowed.
- Students must notify the ME Graduate Office before the last semester of completion of the required courses -- fill in the checklist here. Since there is no formal plan of study for the Hybrid Certificate, students must monitor their own progress in the program and ask to be placed on the candidate list in the semester for which they believe they will finish the program requirements.
ME Graduate Office
585 Purdue Mall (Room 1005)
West Lafayette, IN 47907