Family Friendly Policies
Sometimes your personal or family circumstances—ranging from the birth or adoption of a child to a parent or spouse’s serious health condition—require flexibility in your workload. We’re committed to helping you find a balance that works for you.
- Family Leave: You’re eligible for up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave for a serious health condition (your own or that of your parent, spouse or child), as well as for the birth or adoption of a child.
- Flexible Workload: This policy identifies the external circumstances or events that may warrant the redistribution of your workload.
- Tenure Clock Extension: We understand situations may arise that could slow or hinder your ability to achieve tenure. That’s when our tenure-clock extension policy comes into play.
- Work/Life Programs: Designed to help you address the competing demands of your professional and personal lives, these programs promote lifestyle changes through innovative prevention programs. They’re available to you and your spouse or domestic partner.
- Childcare Expense Reimbursement for Travel (CERT): Provides support for College of Engineering Faculty who incur dependent childcare related expenses above and beyond their regular dependent childcare expenses while attending professional academic events away from home, e.g. conferences, invited talks, meetings with research sponsors, etc.
- Modified Duties for Childcare (MDC) Program: Provides release from one semester of classroom teaching and committee service to eligible faculty members (tenure-track, tenured, or engineering practice) who are primary caregivers of a newborn/newly adopted child in order to support their continued career progress through a period of significantly increased childcare responsibilities.