Industrial Engineering Professional Master's Program
The Professional Master’s Program (PMP) provides students from both industrial engineering and non-industrial engineering undergraduate backgrounds the opportunity to supplement their education with a curriculum that prepares them for success in industry. The PMP provides graduate-level technical education, with a focus on professional skills development that meets the needs of globally dispersed industrial enterprises.
- One-year Program: Students take a combination of advanced technical and professional development courses, earning a Master of Science in Industrial Engineering.
- Real-World Problem Solving and Innovation: Students work with industry leaders and our world-renowned faculty on a 9-credit hour capstone project.
- Advanced Professional Development Programs: Students enroll in professional development seminars throughout the program.
- Career Catalyzation: Most graduates enter careers in diverse fields, often on advanced leadership tracks.
Why Choose a Professional Master's in Industrial Engineering?
- Increased Employment Opportunities: A professional master’s degree is specifically for students planning to work in industry. The program provides students with the technical skills they would acquire in a traditional master’s program, but also develops skills needed in industry, such as leadership and management skills, oral and written communications, teamwork, and defining and managing projects.
- Increased Earning Potential. Our alumni self-report that Purdue Industrial Engineering Master’s graduates earn 15% or more than their peers with a Bachelor’s degree.
Alumni perspective: The Value of IE
Why Choose Purdue?
- Field Defining Innovation & Research: The School of Industrial Engineering has been defining the field and educating future leaders in industrial engineering for 65 years. The graduate program is ranked in the top 10 and the IE on-line degree program is ranked #1 in the nation. Our researchers perform field-defining research that is regarded worldwide for its impact and quality.
- Excellence at Scale: As one of the top 10 engineering graduate programs in the nation, Purdue's College of Engineering is one of the largest and strongest programs in the nation with 13 different schools and departments.
- Affordable Tuition: Tuition for our program is considerably cost effective compared to other programs.
- Low Cost of Living: The cost of living in the Greater Lafayette-West Lafayette area is one of the lowest in the nation, with housing rent ranging from 23% to 179% less expensive than competing university cities (numbeo.com).
Courses selected for the on-thesis option are intended to provide depth of study in a particular area of interest. The prerequisites to the program assure a minimal amount of knowledge in the general field of industrial engineering. The curriculum is designed such that the student has broad selectivity over their coursework. Students are required to select at least 21 credit hours of coursework from IE courses, and are recommended to take at least 6 credit hours from a related area.
Credit Requirements for a Professional Master's Degree
Have at least 30 total graduate credit hours, which must include:
- 21 credit hours of IE course work; and,
- 9 credit hours of Capstone and professional development
An overall GPA of 3.0 is required for completion of the master’s degree program.
Senior Graduate Program Administrator
Office: Grissom Hall (GRIS) Room 189
Office Phone: +1 765-494-0680