Degree FAQs

Below are FAQs about different programs. Please keep scrolling through this page or hit CTRL+F to quickly find the degree program you have questions on.

Interdisciplinary Degree

If I am pursuing the Interdisciplinary Degree with a specific concentration, what would it say on the diploma?

The diploma would either read Master of Science in Engineering (MSE) or Master of Science (MS) depending upon your undergraduate degree. If you have an engineering ABET undergrad, the diploma would read MSE.  Otherwise, if you had a degree in a similar field--science, math, or technology—it would read MS. The major, Interdisciplinary Engineering and the concentration (i.e. Systems Engineering) would be listed on the transcripts, not the diploma. 

The transcript would read: Major:  Interdisciplinary Engineering;  Concentration Systems Engineering.

If I choose the Interdisciplinary program, do I have to choose a concentration right away, or can it be done at some point after I start?

You do not have to choose a concentration immediately. A concentration is not required; however, if selected you will meet both the base degree requirements of 30 total credit hours of which 18 must be Purdue engineering courses and the requirements of the specific concentration. A list of available concentrations can be found here.

Is it possible to choose two concentrations in the Interdisciplinary program and apply the same electives to both of them?

You may only pursue one concentration.

What is the difference between a concentration in Interdisciplinary, and a "full" MS? For example, what's the difference between an actual MS in Biomedical Engineering, and the Biomedical concentration in Interdisciplinary? Is the full MS more "prestigious?"

a. The full MS will be mentioned on your diploma.  The concentration would not be listed on your diploma but will be listed on your transcripts, so for being “more prestigious, the MS would be more notable. 

b. The Interdisciplinary Degree has more flexibility of courses.   

c. The admission requirements are different between the two. 

Dual Degree MSE-MBA

I am looking for information on the MSE + MBA program that includes class requirements and possibly class descriptions.

The MSE + MBA program is a dual-degree program shared with IU Kelley. The program offers you two degrees in as little as 60 hours versus separate programs that equate to 80 hours. You must apply for the dual degree program to receive the initial plan of study for 60 credit hours.

How long does it take to complete the Dual MSE-MBA degree?

The average student completes the Dual Progam in 5+ years depending on your plan of study and time available. We recommend taking one engineering course per semester for workload purposes.

Do I have to take the GMAT or GRE before entering the dual degree program, or can I take the GMAT before the MBA program starts?

You must complete either exam before you apply to the program and can use either scores for entrance in the program.

I'm interested in the MSE-MBA program. What do I need to do to apply?

Click here for application information.

Is the GRE required? What scores are required for admission?

Yes, GRE or GMAT scores are required for entrance into the program. 

GRE Minimum Scoring:
Quantitative Reasoning has to be a 160 or above.
Verbal Reasoning has to be 155 or above.
Analytics Writing is 4.0 or above
GMAT Minimum Scoring: 
General range of GMAT scores are 590-730. If you want to be competitive at IU, you should try to score 660 or higher and no lower than 590, though it is possible to gain acceptance with a lower score.

Can I apply to just the MSE and apply for the MBA later?

The only way to guarantee the reduced hours is to apply through this one program.

Do I have to come to the IU Kelley campus?

There are two, one-week residencies at the IU campus.

I'm interested in doing the MSE-MBA with the ENML concentration.

The Engineering Management & Leadership (ENML) concentration is not compatible with the dual degree. 

What courses are required for the MSE degree?

The online MSE offers an open plan of study and flexible study paths. The course menu is available here

MSE Degree Programs

What is the difference between the MSE and, for example, the MSME? Do employers prefer one or the other?

There are a lot of consistencies between the degrees. You're in the same classes. I can't speak to how employers are going to value the master's degree one over the other and we can't guarantee employment with one or the other. You choose based on your career goals.

What are the differences between the MSME and MSE with a focus in ME?

Admission standard degree requirements and what is listed on our diploma. 

I am currently earning a bachelor's in Construction Engineering Technology. I would like to continue my education with a master's in engineering. Will I be able to pursue the master's of engineering at Purdue with that degree?

Yes, if you have the bare minimum requirement of math courses. We only admit a handful of non-engineering students.

I have an undergraduate degree in Physics, and I'm interested in the MSE degree. What are the admission requirements to get into that program? Do I need to take prerequisite courses? Will my diploma say that my degree is in Engineering?

There is a math requirement you will have to meet prior to applying. ABET accredited engineering degrees are preferred, but we do admit a handful of non-engineering students. Your diploma will read Masters of Science; your transcripts will detail the engineering specialization.

Do I have to declare a concentration with the MSE degree?

No, you can choose to pursue the degree as an Interdisciplinary Engineering degree.

How long do I have to complete the program?

There is no time limit, however, you cannot have more than a five-year gap in studies.

I travel a lot for my job, is that a problem?

As long as you have good internet connections and access to exam sites, it shouldn't be a problem. Many of our students travel and move during the semester. You should be prepared to keep up with your coursework and make sure your professor is aware of your travel schedule.

How does the exam process work?

Exams are proctored. You are required to find proctors and exam sites. We assist you in this process.

MS/MSE – On-Campus

What is the difference between the online and on-campus programs?

We offer two on-campus engineering management programs. The on-campus programs are for research and academic professionals.

Whereas our online programs are for working professionals to study at a distance so they can accommodate and launch full-time careers.

What financial aid is available for these programs?

Please contact the financial aid or bursar's office.

What can I do to strengthen my application?

If the admissions committee needs to see more information from you, they will let you know.

Other Degree Programs

Is the online MS in Electrical Engineering equivalent to the on-campus degree?

"Purdue University Online, College of Engineering" classes, professors, and coursework are the same as those as our on-campus MSEE students experience. On-campus is typically a thesis option. The online course menu is broad and will help you successfully complete your plan of study just as an on-campus student.

I'm interested in the MS in CS on-campus program. What are the requirements? Are their prerequisites? How do I apply? What courses will I need to take?

For specific CS degree details, you should contact the CS department at Purdue.