Thermal Management for Sustainable Agriculture
|Interdisciplinary Areas:||Innovation and Making, Smart City, Infrastructure, Transportation, Future Manufacturing, Micro-, Nano-, and Quantum Engineering, Power, Energy, and the Environment
Ensuring sustainable food security amidst resource constraints is a paramount global challenge. In this context, thermal management emerges as a pivotal factor in promoting sustainable agriculture by facilitating optimal crop growth, preserving water resources, and curbing energy consumption. The primary objective of this project is to foster the development of sustainable materials that facilitate the creation of optimum growing microclimates, thereby profoundly impacting crop yields.
January 1, 2024
• PhD in materials, thermal engineering, agriculture or related disciplines,
• At least one first-author paper in a reputable journal,
• Highly self-motivated with exceptional experimental skills,
• Strong analytical, modelling, and experimental skills. Expertise in at least one of the following areas is strongly preferred: heat & mass transfer, optical & thermal simulation, biomass or nanomaterials process and characterization.
• Tian Li, firstname.lastname@example.org, Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University, https://www.tianliresearch.com/
• Bernard A. Engel, email@example.com, Agricultural and Biological Engineering, Purdue University, https://engineering.purdue.edu/EEE/People/ptProfile?resource_id=1608
• Moriah T. Bilenky, firstname.lastname@example.org, Horticulture and Landscape Architecture, Purdue University, https://www.purdue.edu/hla/sites/bilenkylab/
Li, T., Chen, C., Brozena, A. H., Zhu, J. Y., Xu, L., Driemeier, C., ... & Hu, L. (2021). Developing fibrillated cellulose as a sustainable technological material. Nature, 590(7844), 47-56.
Li, T., Zhai, Y., He, S., Gan, W., Wei, Z., Heidarinejad, M., ... & Hu, L. (2019). A radiative cooling structural material. Science, 364(6442), 760-763.
Zhang, Y., Zhu, W., Zhang, C., Peoples, J., Li, X., Felicelli, A. L., ... & Li, T. (2022). Atmospheric water harvesting by large-scale radiative cooling cellulose-based fabric. Nano Letters, 22(7), 2618-2626.
Zhu, W., Zhang, Y., Zhang, C., Shan, X., Rao, A. K., Pitts, S. L., ... & Li, T. (2023). Radiative cooling sorbent towards all weather ambient water harvesting. Communications Engineering, 2(1), 35.