SURF Participants Summer 2013
Welcome to the SURF program!
This section of the SURF website provides information about the summer activities.
Attention 2014 applicants: This section of the SURF website provides information about the summer activities. Currently, the prior year program activities are available here, which you may find helpful. Beginning in April, this information will be updated for 2014.
These pages will be continuously updated throughout the summer, so be sure to bookmark this page and return often for the latest information.
The SURF 2013 Program has created a Blackboard site to support your learning to be a productive researcher. Your primary learning resources include assignments and discussion boards to foster conversations about important research topics and questions. You will need your Purdue career account to log onto the SURF 2013 Blackboard site.
View the SURF 2013 Syllabus for updates.
News and Announcements
- Congratulations to the 2013 SURF students!
Graduate Mentors Recognized
Thank you SURF mentors for your exceptional leadership and mentorship this summer. Five graduate students, nominated by their student, were recognized at the SURF Luncheon on August 1.
For past News and Announcements, please see our Archives.
- Modules - These self-paced modules have been developed to help you learn positive research techniques.
- Assignments - Login to Blackboard for details and due dates of the documents you will need to submit during your SURF experience
Professional Development & Research Seminars
- Professional Development Meetings – These required workshops and seminars will help you successfully complete your research project, prepare for the SURF Research Symposium, and make the most of your SURF summer. Login to Blackboard for the schedule.
- Research Seminars – SURF students are required to attend at least 4 of these seminars. The National Academy of Engineering (NAE) has identified 14 grand challenges for in the 21st century. The SURF program is holding a series of research seminars covering a range of topics related to the grand challenges. There are four themes for the research seminars: sustainability, health, security, and joy of living. You are encouraged to attend at least one research seminar related to each theme.
Events and Activities
- Events and activities - Read more about SURF organized functions.
- Community Events - Information about local events and festivals.
- Excellent writing tips from Purdue's acclaimed Online Writing Lab (OWL)
- Information on research from the Purdue Library site
Human Resources Info
- Mid-Summer Evaluation
- Information about your Pay
- Business Office Contact List
- Medical Insurance: Coverage during the summer
Additional Information for Students
- Purdue Information: Links to campus map, facilities and phone numbers
- Co-Rec Information: Summer membership details for Purdue's exercise facility
- Dining Options: Restaurants on and off campus
- Community Information: Links to dining, shopping and other activities
- CityBus: Schedules and route information