Purdue Day of Giving Engineering Relay Run
Cheer on your fellow Boilermakers as they each run 2.019 miles on #PurdueDayOfGiving for a 20.19 mile relay run. Join us for a block party celebrating the conclusion of the run at 2 pm at the Gateway Arch.
Wednesday, April 24
10:40 AM - 2 PM
Gateway Arch at the Corner of Stadium & University
Relay Run Route
- Date Established/Named: October 27, 2007
- Schools/Programs Housed: Aeronautics and Astronautics, Materials Engineering, and the nation’s first School of Engineering Education, Engineering Projects in Community Service (EPICS), Women in Engineering Program, Minority Engineering Program and Global Engineering Program.
- Fun fact: The Herman and Heddy Kurz Atrium houses a replica of the NASA Apollo 1 Command module.
- Fun Fact: The Lunar sample, housed in Armstrong Hall, was collected during the 1972 Apollo 17 mission, commanded by Eugene Cernan (BSEE ’56, HDR ’70), the last astronaut to walk on the moon.
- Date Established: 1987
- Schools/Programs housed: Electrical and Computer Engineering Advising Suite, Business Office and all student advising offices. Materials Engineering moved to Armstrong Hall upon its completion.
- Fun fact: Electrical and Computer Engineering is Purdue’s largest school – and one of the biggest in the nation.
- Fun fact: MSEE was one of the first buildings on campus to offer just as many women’s restrooms as men's restrooms
- A new gateway to Purdue Engineering's campus
- New facilities for College of Engineering and Purdue Polytechnic Institute
- Estimated completion date: 2022
- Fun Fact: will house the Student Success Center, project-based instructional labs, design studios for senior capstone projects and collaborative spaces for active learning and shared interdisciplinary instructional space.
- This water fountain stands near Stanley Coulter Hall. The lions head was an original gift of the Class of 1903 and dedicated in 1904. It was rededicated in 2001 when it was returned to a drinking fountain, long after the water was removed. The Reamer Club, as its 75th anniversary project, undertook the project with assistance from the University Development Office, beginning in 1998. In addition to restoring the plumbing, the Reamer Club allocated a portion of the funds for a thorough cleaning and a new stone base.
- Fun Fact: Purdue has 6 total fountains – Class of 1939 Water Sculpture (also known as the Engineering Mall Fountain); Loeb Fountain, Memorial Fountain, McGinley Plaza and Sinninger Pond.
- Originally known as Memorial Gymnasium, renamed in 2006 to Haas Hall in honor of former dean of the school from 1962 – 1974.
- Built as a memorial to the football players, students and alumni who perished in the famous 1903 Purdue train wreck.
- The building has 11 steps, a landing and 6 additional steps representing those who died.
- 1930 commencement held in Memorial Gymnasium.
- Fun Fact: even though this building is dedicated to the College of Science (who graduated the first Boilermaker in 1875 – John Bradford Harper, Mr. Harper is historically known as a pioneer in Civil Engineering).
- The original Heavilon Hall clock was a donation from the Howard Watch and Clock Co. of Boston. It was in storage from 1956 until 1991, when the late Jack Fessler, professor of veterinary clinical sciences, began restoring the clock. He finished in 1994, and after serving as a display in various places on campus, the working clock in 2011 found a permanent home in the atrium of the Roger B. Gatewood Wing in the Mechanical Engineering Building.
- Fun Fact: At the time the original bell tower was dedicated in 1895, Heavilon Hall was a state-of-the-art engineering laboratory.
- Date Named: September 14, 2012
- Schools/Programs housed: Civil Engineering and Construction Engineering and Management.
- Offers facilities for architectural, construction, environmental, geomatics, geotechnical, hydraulic and hydrologic, materials, and structural engineering
- Fun Fact: renovations were made in the Fall of 2017
- Fun fact: Civil Engineering won the vote to become a department at Purdue in 1887 over domestic economy; it was voted on by the Board of Trustees