Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) and Fundamentals of Surveying (FS)

What are the FE/FS examinations?

The Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam* and Fundamentals of Surveying (FS)** are necessary in order to become a Professional Engineer or Professional (Land) Surveyor. Each exam consists of two parts.

For engineering, the first part is the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam.* The second part requires a minimum of four years engineering experience beyond the BSxE degree to participate in the Principles and Practice of Engineering (PE) exam.

For land surveying engineers, the two exams are called Fundamentals of Surveying (FS),** and the Principles and Practice of Surveying (PS) exam. Both exams must be passed in order to register as a Professional Engineer/Surveyor.

*The FE exam is also known (mistakenly) as the Engineer-in-Training (EIT) exam.

**Formerly known as the Surveyor-in-Training (SIT) exam.

Why take the FE and/or FS exams?

In order to do engineering consulting work, the designation of professional engineer is required. This means you will have to have taken and passed the FE and/or FS exams. It is unlawful to tell the public you can perform independent engineering and/or surveying work in the form of consultation, investigation, evaluation or design of engineering works and systems without a PE and/or PLS license.

An engineer can work for a company designing and manufacturing products without being registered. This is because product liability laws protect the public. However, if a company offers engineering services in any of the above mentioned categories, the person responsible for the work must be a registered engineer and/or registered land surveyor. If you work for such a company and you are not registered, the law says you must work under the supervision of a registered engineer or surveyor.

Why take the exams before graduation?

Because you know the fundamental subjects now, if you study 8 hours on your own using the FE or FS Review Manual and do your best during the exam, your chances of passing now are far above 90%. The pass rate for those who wait, is about 70% in the first year after graduation and dropping off fast for each year you wait (about 10% per year).

Another reason to take the exam while you are a senior is the simple application process. Just fill out a small form, mail it to ELSES, register online to take the exam and pay the fee. If you wait, you will have to fill out a longer application form, get reference letters, a transcript, a photo, notarization, etc.

Who can take the exams and when do you take them?

A student enrolled in an ABET-accredited engineering curriculum at Purdue may take the FE examination prior to the student's scheduled graduation.

Students may take each of the examinations (FE and/or FS) only once using the student application. If you need to take one of the exams a second time, you must complete the entire Indiana state forms: the Application for Certification of Engineering Intern (Form 9101) or the Application for Certification of Land Surveyor-in-Training (Form 49328).

Dual-degree majors

If you are a dual-degree senior (land surveying engineering / civil engineering or land surveying engineering / construction engineering management) and wish to become both a Registered/Professional Surveyor and a Registered/Professional Engineer, you are allowed to take the FE exam prior to graduation.

Ineligible to enroll using the student application:

If you are in one of the categories listed below, we are not allowed to admit you to the FE/FS exams at Purdue and you should go to the IPLA (Indiana Professional Licensing) website for registration.

  • Graduate students in engineering
  • Anyone with a BS, MS or PhD who has received their bachelors degree in engineering prior to the exam date
  • Undergraduate students in engineering or surveying technology

How to apply and register to take the exams

Eligible Purdue undergraduate students who want to enroll to take the FE and/or FS examinations at Purdue can register with NCEES through the link below. You are only allowed one attempt as a student.

Here are the steps to apply and register:

  1. Register to take the exam online at the NCEES web site
  2. Pay your exam fees via the NCEES Web site after you register.

Once your application has been approved, you will receive information from NCEES about how to register for exam locations with Pearson VUE testing Centers.

Applicants seeking certification as an Engineer Intern will apply to the Board, once they have taken and passed the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam.

Application deadlines and examination dates

Application deadlines

Once you have registered with NCEES online, you will receive information regarding exam dates, locations and any deadlines.

FE/FS Examination dates

Since the exams are now offered year-round, look for exam dates available when you register.

Review Session Schedule

Study – good preparation ensures success

Reference handbooks (equations manuals): Reference books can be purchased or get a free download. If you want the most up-to-date FE/FS handbooks, they are available on the NCEES website and for purchase if you want a hardcopy that is not self-printed. You can also review the Pearson VUE computer-based testing demo.

Taking the exam

Tests will be administered on the designated test day at the Purdue Testing Center in Stewart Center, Room G39. You can learn more about how the tests are conducted at the Testing Center's Pearson VUE page. Arrive at the exam room 30 minutes before your scheduled appointment.

The FE and FLS exams are closed book exams. However, a new FE Reference Handbook will be provided to the FE examinees.

Book bags, books, paper, purses, cell phones, pdas, calculators with text-editing or communication capabilities, laptops, food or drinks are not allowed in the exam room.

You are only allowed to bring three items with you to the test:

  1. You must bring a government issued ID, e.g. a drivers license or passport. Purdue photo IDs are no longer accepted! If you forget to bring the correct ID you will not be admitted. A positive ID check will be made four times during the exam!
  2. You may only bring calculators approved by NCEES into the exam room. Approved calculators do not have communicating or text-editing capabilities (i.e., a calculator without an IR-port or a QWERTY keyboard). You are allowed to bring spare batteries for the calculator. See the NCEES website's calculator policy page ( for a list of approved calculators.

How will I know if I've passed?

You will receive results when available following the test administration. The NCEES website says that you should receive an email containing instructions on how to view your results in your MyNCEES account about 7–10 days after the test date.

If you pass

To begin the formal process of receiving an Engineer In Training (EIT) Certificate you must verify your graduation to the Indiana Professional Licensing Agency (IPLA) by sending an official transcript to the following address:

Indiana Professional Licensing Agency
Indiana Government Center South, Room E034
302 West Washington Street
Indianapolis, IN 46204-2246
Phone: (317) 234-3022

Additional Information



State Board of Registration for Professional Engineers
State Board of Registration for Land Surveyors


National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES)
Engineering and Land Surveying Exam Services (NCEES)