Be a Pathways Scholar!
Participate in a paid summer research internship - virtually, from wherever you are!
Do you want to learn the many Pathways that a Graduate Degree in engineering might take you? Come learn about how a graduate degree can prepare you for different career pathways, including being a faculty, working in a government setting/National Laboratory, Industry, and more! The Pathways program is looking for underrepresented students interested in PhD study. Selected students participate in a Purdue Summer Research Experience (SURF, REU, etc…) and receive additional mentoring, networking, and professional opportunities.
Application will open in mid-December. Read further details below!
- Be matched with an Engineering faculty member at Purdue University to work on a research project of mutual interest. Participate in mentored research during the summer in conjunction with Purdue’s SURF program or another Purdue sponsored summer research experience.
- Attend weekly professional development seminars; learn skills necessary for success in graduate school and your future career.
- Become part of a growing support network. Receive additional mentoring throughout your undergraduate education and while applying for graduate schools and fellowships.
- Get one-on-one feedback on your Resume/CV, statement of purpose, and/or any fellowship applications.
- Receive a stipend of $5,100 for the summer.
- US citizen or permanent resident.
- Freshman, Sophomore or Junior (priority given to students who are 1-2 years from graduation.)
- Pursuing an engineering or closely related degree at a U.S. institution.
- Member of an underrepresented minority group in engineering (including Hispanic, Black or African American, Native American, Native Hawaiian, Pacific Islander, women, and people with disabilities.)
- Interested in pursuing a Ph.D.
- Meet all eligibility requirements for the SURF Program.
- Priority deadline is January 15, 2021. Applications received after this date will only be considered until program is filled. Apply early! The application will open in mid-December.
- Complete an application for the SURF program.
In your application essay:
- State your interest in being a SURF Pathways Scholar.
- Indicate how a PhD will help you accomplish your career goals.
- Briefly, explain your eligibility.
- Send a brief email to Dr. Jackie McDermott notifying us once you have submitted your application. This helps us track the status of your application.
Please note that there is a high possibility that the Summer 2021 Pathways Scholars program will be a remote research experience due to COVID-19. The Summer 2020 cohort was also in a remote setting, and students received all the benefits described above. We plan to ensure that students selected as 2021 Pathways Scholars have a meaningful and safe research experience at Purdue University.
Previous Pathways Scholar Videos: