Be a Pathways Scholar!
Participate in a paid summer research internship!
Do you want to learn the many Pathways that a Graduate Degree in engineering might take you? Come learn about how a graduate degree can prepare you for different career pathways, including being a faculty, working in a government setting/National Laboratory, Industry, and more! The Pathways program is looking for students interested in PhD study. Selected students participate in a Purdue Summer Research Experience (SURF, REU, etc…) and receive additional mentoring, networking, and professional opportunities.
Application will open in winter 2023 for Summer 2024. Read further details below!
- Be matched with an Engineering faculty member at Purdue University to work on a research project of mutual interest. Participate in mentored research during the summer in conjunction with Purdue’s SURF program, CISTAR NSBE-SEEK REM program, or another Purdue sponsored summer research experience.
- Attend weekly professional development seminars; learn skills necessary for success in graduate school and your future career.
- Become part of a growing support network. Receive additional mentoring throughout your undergraduate education and while applying for graduate schools and fellowships.
- Get one-on-one feedback on your Resume/CV, statement of purpose, and/or any fellowship applications.
- Receive a stipend of $6,000 for the summer.
- Interested in pursuing a Ph.D.
- US citizen or permanent resident.
- Freshman, Sophomore or Junior (priority given to students who are 1-2 years from graduation.)
- Pursuing an engineering or closely related degree at a U.S. institution.
- Meet all eligibility requirements for the SURF Program
This opportunity is open to all students, regardless of race or ethnicity, whose experiences have shaped their ability to operate in a diverse environment or who demonstrate a commitment to increasing opportunities for members of underrepresented minorities, breaking down stereotypes, and enabling others to better understand and support individuals of different races and national origins. We strongly encourage women and traditionally underrepresented groups at U.S. institutions to apply.
- Priority deadline is February 1, 2023. Applications received after this date will only be considered until program is filled. Apply early! The application opens January 10, 2023.
- Complete an application for the SURF program.
In your application essay:
- State your interest in being a SURF Pathways Scholar.
- Indicate how a PhD will help you accomplish your career goals.
- Briefly, explain your eligibility.
- Undergraduate students who are external to Purdue should plan to submit one letter of recommendation with their SURF application.