ECE 59500 - Introduction to Quantum Science and Technology
Lecture Hours: 3 Credits: 3
Areas of Specialization:
- Fields and Optics
On-campus and online
This course introduces engineering students to basic laws of quantum mechanics and introduces revolutionary quantum technologies. The boundary between classical and quantum physics, quantization of EM field and its consequences, quantum electromagnetic and atomic physics and their applications in quantum communication, quantum computations and quantum sensing are discussed. The course aims to develop conceptual understanding of quantum phenomena and identifies engineering challenges of various quantum technologies.
- Physical Foundations of Solid-State Devices , Schubert, E.F. , Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute , 2006
- Principles of Quantum Computation and Information - Vol I: Basic Concepts , Benenti, Giuliano; Casati, Giulio; and Strini, Giuliano , World Scientific Publishing Company , 2004
- Quantum Computation and Quantum Information , 10th Edition , Nielsen, Michael A. , 2010
- Quantum Mechanics; A Conceptual Approach , Hameka, Hendrik F. , Wiley-Interscience , 2004
- Quantum Optics: An Introduction , Fox, Mark , Oxford University Press , 2006
- Identify fundamental differences between quantum and classical technologies.
- Mathematically describe simple quantum phenomena.
- Interpreting quantum signatures in experimental data.
- Analyze engineering challenges of quantum technologies.
|1||Overview of quantum technologies: Quantum engineering, computing, communication, sensing|
|2||Fundamentals of quantum mechanics: Birth of quantum mechanics, postulates, Hamiltonian and Schrodinger equation, Dirac notation, density operator|
|2||Essential concepts in quantum mechanics: Operators, Heisenberg uncertainty, wave particle duality, coherence, entanglement|
|2||Quantum resources, EM waves: Quantum EM fields, polarization of optical fields, EM resonators, single photon detection, E-field detection, quantum light,|
|2||Quantum resources, atoms: Two-level atom, light-atom interactions, trapping and cooling atoms, three-level atoms, Rydberg atoms, trapped ions|
|1||Quantum resources, superconducting devices: Fundamentals, two-level systems, Qubits, circuits and challenges|
|1||Quantum sensing: Light interferometry, particle interferometry - Ramsey measurement, sensing via defects in diamond|
|2||Quantum communication: Cryptography, teleportation, memory, entanglement distribution|
|2||Quantum computing: Classical computing, experimental implementation, deterministic two-qubit logic gates, single and two-qubit photonic gates, superconducting gates, quantum logic operation using trapped ions, Rydberg atom, linear optics quantum computing, engineering quantum systems|
Discussions, quizzes, homework, exams, project (11/2021)