Our 4+1 BS/MS is an exclusive program for current Purdue ECE undergraduates that allows students to earn both a BS and MSECE in as few as five years. This program leverages the outstanding characteristics of the Purdue ECE undergraduate
experience to accelerate completion of a Master's degree.
Employers recognize the value of the MSECE, and students who complete the 4+1 BS/MS will have broadened career and professional program options (MD or JD) or can continue their education in ECE to earn a PhD.
Students may have 12 credits hours of 50000-level ECE courses count towards both their BS and MS degrees.
Eligible BSEE courses:
- EE Selectives: 53800, 50653, 51012
- EE Electives: 6 credit hours at the 50000 level
- Complementary Electives: 3 credit hours at the 50000 level
Eligible BSCmpE courses:
- 50863, 56800, 57000, 57300, or other 50000 level courses
Eighteen additional credit hours are needed to earn the MSECE (30 credit hours total).
Tuition and Fees
Students will pay undergraduate engineering tuition until they receive their BSEE or BSCompE. Once students become graduate students, they will pay graduate engineering rates. Check the most up-to-date fees here.
Frequently Asked Questions
What should be included in the Graduate School application?
- You must complete the full Graduate School application, which includes transcripts, three letters of recommendation, and your resume. The TOEFL and GRE will be waived. See Required Supporting Documents on this page for additional details.
When should I complete the Graduate School application?
- You must complete the application before you take any graduate level courses you wish to dual count toward the BS and MS degree, so you can submit the application as soon as you complete your sophomore year. Applications are accepted
year-round on a rolling basis.
Why do I need to apply so early?
- The Purdue Graduate School will only dual count graduate-level courses you take as an undergraduate while you are a dual BS/MS status. Graduate-level ECE courses taken before you are admitted to the 4+1 BS/MS program cannot be dual counted.
Can I apply for a graduate assistant position while in this program?
- Once you have completed your BS, you are eligible to hold a graduate assistant position. See this webpage for more information: Finding TA and RA positions
When should I submit my MS plan of study?
- You should submit your MS plan of study through myPurdue at the beginning of the first semester as a MS student.
Is there any penalty if I am admitted to the 4 + 1 program but decide not to complete the MS at Purdue?
- No, there is no penalty. The graduate-level coursework you complete as an undergraduate will still count toward your BS. However, you would not be able to use these graduate courses toward a graduate degree at another university.
If you are an undergraduate student interested in this program, contact Jamie Seadeek.
To learn more about the MSECE, contact Lynn Hegewald, ECE Master’s Program Manager.