ECE 30417 - Engineering Optics LaboratoryLab Hours: 3 Credits: 1
This is an experiential learning course.
CMPE Complementary Elective
EE Elective - Adv Level Lab
Normally Offered: Each Spring
ECE 30100 and (ECE 20008 or ECE 20800) and (ECE 30411 or ECE 31100) and ECE 30416 [may be taken concurrently]
A set of laboratory experiments dealing with fundamentals and basic applications of geometrical optics, beams, polarization optics, wave optics and Fourier optics.
This course was previously offered as ECE 41300.
- Fundamentals of Photonics, , 2nd Edition, E. A. Saleh & Malvin Carl Teich, World Scientific, 2007, ISBN No. 0471358320.
- Optics, 4th Edition, E. Hecht, 2002, ISBN No. 080-538-5665.
Learning Outcomes:A student who successfully fulfills the course requirements will have demonstrated:
- an ability to properly handle basic optical components and equipment. 
- an ability to assemble a set of optical components to perform simple optical measurements. 
- an ability to design and test simple free-space optical measurements and instruments. 
|3-4||Interferometer and Interference Effects|
|5||Power and beam spot measurement of laser beams|
|6||Spatial filtering and beam expanding|
|7||Transform, convolution and correlation of beams|
|10||Optical Fourier Transforms and Spatial Filtering|
|11-12||Holographic Recording and Reconstruction; Project/Design Introduction|