ECE 59500 - Semiconductor Manufacturing
This course will run the last five weeks of the semester.
Lecture Hours: 3 Credits: 1
Areas of Specialization:
- Fields and Optics
- Microelectronics and Nanotechnology
- EE Elective
- CMPE Special Content Elective
[MA 26200 or MA 26600] and [PHYS 27200 or PHYS 24100] and CHM 11500 and [ECE 59500 Microfabrication Fundamentals or (ECE 59500 MEMS I: Microfabrication and Materials for MEMS)
Requisites by Topic:
Differential equations, introductory physics (mechanics, electricity and magnetism), introductory chemistry.
Introduction to manufacturing processes suitable for CMOS and CMOS-compatible integrated devices. Unit processes for multi-level metal interconnects, including physical deposition, plasma enhanced chemical vapor deposition, copper plating, chemical mechanical polishing of dielectrics and metals. Process development of Si/Ge, low-k dielectrics, metal gates, 3D NANDs and photonic devices, etc.
- Fabrication Engineering at the Micro- and Nanoscale , 4th Edition , Campbell, Stephen A. , Oxford University Press , 2012 , ISBN No. 9780199861224
- Introduction to Semiconductor Manufacturing Technology , 2nd Edition , Xiao, Hong , SPIE Press , 2012 , ISBN No. 9780819490926
A student who successfully fulfills the course requirements will have demonstrated an ability to:
- describe major process steps in state-of-the-art CMOS manufacturing
- propose a series of processes to address fabrication requirements of CMOS-compatible devices
|1||Front-end processing for advanced CMOS Silicon-on-insulator substrates, shallow-trench insulation, self-aligned silicide, metal gate, atomic-layer deposition for low-k dielectrics.|
|2||Back-end processing for copper interconnects Physical vapor deposition, plasma enhanced chemical vapor deposition|
|3||Damascene process, copper plating, chemical mechanical polishing of dielectrics and metals.|
|4||Process development and integration. 3D NANDs, through-silicon vias (TSV), silicon photonic devices. Hetero-integration.|
|5||Packaging, statistical processing control. Exam|
This course will be graded on homework, reports and exams.