ECE 61016 - Power Electronic Converters and SystemsLecture Hours: 3 Credits: 3
Areas of Specialization(s):Energy Sources and Systems
Normally Offered: Fall - even years
The objective of this course is to educate students in the detailed modeling, average-value modeling, and control design of power electronics converters and systems of converters.
- Analysis of Electric Machinery and Drive Systems,, 3 Edition, P.C. Krause, O. Wasynczuk, S.D. Sudhoff, IEEE Press/John Wiley & Sons, 2013, ISBN No. 978-1-118-02429-4.
- A Voltage Control Strategy for Current-Regulated PWM Inverters,, O. Wasynczuk, S.D. Sudhoff, T.D. Tran, D.H. Clayton, and H.J. Hegner.
- An Introduction to Optimization, Chong, Zak, Wiley InterScience, 2001.
- GOSET Manual, Sudhoff,.
- Immittance Base Stability Analysis of Power Electronic Based Systems, S.D. Sudhoff.
- Systems and Control, S.H. Zak, 2003.
- Transient and Dynamic Average-Value Modeling of Synchronous Machine Fed Load-Commutated Converters, S.D. Sudhoff and K.A. Corzine, H.J. Hegner, D.E. Delisle.
|2||Basic Tools: GOSET for Single and Multi-Objective Optimization Simulink for Time-Domain Simulation|
|2||DC-DC Conversion: Buck/Boost/Buck-Boost Converters Detailed Modeling of DC-DC Converters Representation of Switching Losses Average-Value Modeling of DC-DC Converters (Fast/Dynamic Modeling, Manual State Space Averaging, Automated State Space Averaging) Control Design Case Study: Ship Service Converter Module|
|4||Controlled DC-AC and AC-DC Conversion: Buck Converters, Waveform-Level Modeling, Average-Value Modeling, Control Design Case Study|
|3||Uncontrolled AC-DC and DC-AC Conversion: The Three-Phase Bridge Inverter, Waveform-Level Modeling, Average Value Modeling, Control Design Case Study: Ship Service Inverter Module, Review of Permanent Magnet AC Machine, Control Design Case Study: PMAC DC Generation System|
|3||Special Topics (at discretion of instructor): Isolating DC/DC Converters, Multi-level Converters, Immittance Based Stability Methods Soft Switched and Resonant Converters, Common Mode Effects|