ECE 61200 - Advanced VLSI Devices (Nanoscale Transistors)
Lecture Hours: 3 Credits: 3
Areas of Specialization:
- Microelectronics and Nanotechnology
This course examines the device physics of advanced transistors and the process, device, circuit, and systems considerations that enter into the development of new integrated circuit technologies. Review of metal oxide semiconductor (MOS) micron channel length metal oxide semiconductor field-effect transistors (MOSFETs) including device scaling considerations. Device physics and technology issues for sub-100 nm (nanoscale) MOSFETs. Limits of silicon device technology and key issues in the continuing miniaturization of devices. Alternative device structures to replace bulk MOSFET.
- Advanced Semiconductor Fundamentals , 2nd Edition , R. F. Pierret , Prentice Hall , 2013 , ISBN No. 0-13-061792-X
- Fundamentals of Modern VLSI Devices , 2nd Edition , Yuan Taur and Tak H. Ning , Cambridge University Press , 2009 , ISBN No. 9780521832946
- Analyze MOS capacitors and MOSFETs quantitatively including extracting parameters as on-currents and off-currents as a function of gate and drain bias for ballistic, diffusive and quasi-ballistic devices.
- Extract information about the performance of various nano-scale transistors from band diagrams, draw these diagrams to reflect the state of operation of the device and correlate them with the actual device performance.
- Calculate device specs for one-dimensional nano-transistors including (but not limited to) the impact of Schottky barriers, scaling aspects, various resistance contributions (including parasitics), scattering events, operation in the quantum capacitance limit and gate stacks.
|1-12||MOSFET Fundamentals (1D MOS electrostatics, MOS capacitors, MOS capacitors, Polysilicon gates / QM effects, MOSFET IV: Square law, Bulk charge and Velocity saturation, Ballistic MOSFETs, Quasi-Ballistic MOSFETs, Subthreshold conduction, VT, body effect, capacitance)|
|13-22||Short Channel MOSFETs and CMOS Processes (effective mobility, 2D Electrostatics, MOSFET Scaling and the ITRS, Channel profile design, Parasitic S/D resistance /Leff, Breakdown and Leakage, Gate resistance / Interconnects, CMOS processes)|
|23-33||Advanced CMOS, New Materials and Device Structures (CMOS circuits, SOI MOSFETs, Heterostructure FETs, Nanotube FETs, Nanowire FETs, Novel steep subthreshold slope devices, Alternative devices (Excitons, Spin, Phase Transitions)|
Homework and exams. (3/2022)