ECE 40020 - Sound Reinforcement System DesignLecture Hours: 3 Credits: 3
CMPE Special Content Elective
(ECE 20002 or ECE 25500) and ECE 30100 [may be taken concurrently]
Requisites by Topic:
Prerequisites: Basic electronic components and circuit design principles Concurrent Prerequisites: Basic understanding of signals and systems
An introduction to computational tools used in the measurement and analysis of electro-acoustic systems, and their application to sound reinforcement system engineering. Service learning based projects, serving the needs of community clients, provide the context for application of sound reinforcement system design principles and practices.
This course will no longer be offered after the Spring 2020 semester.
- Sound Systems: Design and Optimization, 2nd Edition, Bob McCarthy, Focal Press, 2009, ISBN No. 9780240521565.
- Sound System Engineering, 3 Edition, Don Davis and Eugene Patronis, Focal Press, 2006, ISBN No. 0240808304.
Learning Outcomes:A student who successfully fulfills the course requirements will have demonstrated:
- an ability to apply knowledge obtained in earlier coursework and to obtain new knowledge necessary to design a sound reinforcement system. [1,2,4,6,7]
- an understanding of the engineering design process. [1,2,4,6]
- an ability to function on a multidisciplinary team. [4,5]
- an awareness of professional and ethical responsibility. 
- an ability to communicate effectively, in both oral and written form. 
|1||Physics: radiation of sound|
|3||Sound: transmission, summation, and reception|
|3||Design: evaluation, prediction, variation, and specification|
|3||Optimization: examination, verification, and calibration|
|3||Component selection: loudspeakers, power amplifiers, signal processors, mixing consoles, microphones, racks, wiring|
|1||Demos, design project overview, midterm exam|
Engineering Design Content:
Engineering Design Consideration(s):