ECE 51300 - Diffraction, Fourier Optics and ImagingLecture Hours: 3 Credits: 3
Areas of Specialization(s):Fields and Optics
CMPE Special Content Elective
Normally Offered: Fall - odd years
ECE 30100 or (ECE 30411 or ECE 31100)
Modern theories of diffraction and Fourier optics for imaging, optical communications and networking, micro/nano technologies and related devices and systems. Imaging techniques involving diffraction and/or Fourier analysis such as tomography, magnetic resonance imaging, synthetic aperture radar and confocal microscopy. Topics in optical communications and networking including wave propagation in free space, fiber, and integrated optics, and related design issues. Micro/nano technologies involving diffraction and/or Fourier analysis. simulation studies using Matlab and other professional software packages for analysis and design.
- Diffraction, Fourier Optics and Imaging, Okan K. Ersoy, J. Wiley, 2007, ISBN No. 0-471-23816-3.
- Applications of Optical Fourier Transforms, H. Stark, Academic Press, 1982.
- Confocal Microscopy, T. Wilson, editor, Academic Press, 1990.
- Electromagnetic Diffraction and Propagation Problems, V.A. Fock, Pergamon Press, 1965.
- Electromagnetic Theory and Geometrical Optics, M. Kline, and I.W. Kay, Interscience Publishers, 1965.
- Fiber-Optic Communication Systems, G.P. Agrawal, J. Wiley, 1992, 1997.
- Fourier Series and Optical Transform Techniques in Contemporary Optics, R.G. Wilson, Wiley, 1995.
- Fundamentals of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, D.W. Chakeres, P. Schmalbrock, Williams & Wilkins, 1992.
- Fundamentals of Photonics, B.E. Saleh, M.C. Teich, J. Wiley, 1991.
- Introduction to Fourier Optics, 2nd Edition, J.W. Goodman, McGraw Hill, 1996.
- MRI: Basic Principles and Applications, M.A. Brown, Wiley-Liss, 1995.
- Optics, 2nd Edition, M.V. Klein, T.E. Furtak, J. Wiley, 1986.
- Principles of Computerized Tomographic Imaging, A.C. Kak, Malcolm Slaney, IEEE Press, New York, 1988.
- Progress in Optics, Vols. XIV, XVI, XXI, E. Wolf, Editor.
- Synthetic Aperture Radar, J.P.Fitch, Springer-Verlag, 1988.
- Theory of Dielectric Optical Waveguides, D. Marcuse, Academic Press, 1991.
- Waves in Focal Regions, J.J. Stamnes, Adam Hilger, 1986.
|1||Foundations of Diffraction Theory|
|2||Angular Spectrum Method|
|3||Fresnel and Fraunhofer Diffraction|
|4||Fourier Analysis of Optical Systems and Image Formation|
|5||Spatial Filtering and Optical Information Processing|
|6||Tomography and Synthetic Aperture Radar|
|7||Magnetic Resonance Imaging|
|9||Wavefront Reconstruction (Holography)|
|10||Diffractive Optical Elements|
|11||Diffraction Gratings and Zone Plates I|
|12||Micro/Nano Devices and Rigorous Diffraction Theory|
|14||Wavelength Division Multiplexing and Demultiplexing|