ECE 495B - Information Extraction, Retrieval and SecurityLecture Hours: 3 Credits: 3
This is an experiential learning course.
Experimental Course Offered: Fall 2000, Fall 2001, Fall 2002
This course will introduce the student to the algorithms used for the processing and protection of information. Specifically, it will introduce fundamental concepts in the area of data mining, text-based information retrieval, content-based image retrieval, web-based search engines and information security/privacy.
- Course notes.
- Machine Learning, Tom Mitchell, McGraw Hill, 1996, ISBN No. 0070428077.
- Managing Gigabytes, 2nd Edition, Lam H. Witten, Morgan Kaufmann, 1999, ISBN No. 1558605703.
- Security in Computing, 2nd Edition, Charles Pfleger, Prentice Hall, 1997, ISBN No. 0133374866.
Learning Outcomes:A student who successfully fulfills the course requirements will have demonstrated:
- an ability to implement and design basic text and image based information retrieval systems, including web-based search engines. [b,j]
- an ability to implement and apply fundamental data mining algorithms. [b,j]
- an understanding of the issues and basic technical solutions to information security/privacy. [f,j]
|4||Text-Based Information Retrieval|
|1||Web-Based Search Engines|
|3||Content-Based Image Retrieval|